Traffic Fine Question

Cape

Hi Guys, I received a traffic fine in the mail recently (beginning October) for a traffic violation that I allegedly committed. Something about not stopping fully at a stop street until it was safe to proceed driving. What boggles my mind is the fact that I received the fine in the mail. Nobody pulled me over and handed me the fine at the time the violation took place. Surely the traffic officer should've pulled me over, since it was a moving violation and there's no camera proof? The fine amount is R1500, which is quite hefty. It just gives me the impression that a traffic officer can just hand out fines if they have your number plate and place you at a "scene", then post you the fine. How do they actually prove that I didn't stop, what can I do to contest this?

koeksGHT

Dealer
Surely it would need to be dash cam video or similar, you can't tell from a photo if he stopped or not.

It's a fixed traffic camera, I didn't stop at one street around Randburg and noticed halfway through intersection there was a fixed camera looking at a 4 way stop street. Haven't received anything so not sure if decoy.

MickZA

Executive Member
It's a fixed traffic camera, I didn't stop at one street around Randburg and noticed halfway through intersection there was a fixed camera looking at a 4 way stop street. Haven't received anything so not sure if decoy.
Thinking about it some more two time lapse photos would suffice, if you're in the intersection in the second photo you can't have come to a complete halt.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Thinking about it some more two time lapse photos would suffice, if you're in the intersection in the second photo you can't have come to a complete halt.
That or maybe the magnetic sensors under road like robots.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
A tricky one this.

But I suppose if you follow the correct procedure at a stop, the camera will be able to determine if you came to a complete stop or not.

(1) Stop before the line.
(2) Pull forward slowly until just before line.
(3) Look left look right look left again.
(4) Proceed if safe.

now who does the above? learners and when you pass your test ... never again after that. :twisted:

Last edited:

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
A tricky one this.

But I suppose if you follow the correct procedure at a stop. the camera will be able to determine if you came to a complete stop or not.

(1) Stop before the line.
(2) Pull forward slowly until just before line.
(3) Look left look right look left again.
(4) Proceed if safe.

now who does the above? learners and when you pass your test ... never again after that. :twisted:

And people who don't want R1500 fines they can't afford.

Not to mention not wanting to be flattened by the truck you pulled out in front of because of not looking.

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Go to court and ask them to produce the evidence of the offence. If there's no evidence there's no case.

Magnum

Expert Member
Or even better Wait for actual summons to appear before a court. Those take time and money and often gets thrown out because of manpower needed.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Or even better Wait for actual summons to appear before a court.
Terrible idea. If you're going to dispute a fine on the basis that its bullsht waiting 3 months until you're in front of a judge isn't going to help your argument.

Go to court and ask them to produce the evidence of the offence. If there's no evidence there's no case.
You'd go to the prosecutor not to actual court, but yes.