Transferring contract data on Vodacom

SAguy

Expert Member
I got more feedback from Vodacom, this is the rules I've been able to gather from them:
- If you're on contract you need to call vodacom to enable the ability to transfer data
- You can only transfer a maximum of 80% of your contract data
- You can only transfer data 5 days before it expires
- The data expiry does not extend when you transfer it, it will still expire in 5 days.

So lets say my contract runs from the 1st to the 30th, I can only transfer data on the 25th of the month, and that data will still expire on the 30th.

What the actual f, means that their new data transfer policy only applies to 5 days of the month, because there are no other days you can actual transfer and use transferred data.

ShaunyCT

I got more feedback from Vodacom, this is the rules I've been able to gather from them:
- If you're on contract you need to call vodacom to enable the ability to transfer data
- The data expiry does not extend when you transfer it, it will still expire in 5 days.

So lets say my contract runs from the 1st to the 30th, I can only transfer data on the 25th of the month, and that data will still expire on the 30th.

What the actual f, means that their new data transfer policy only applies to 5 days of the month, because there are no other days you can actual transfer and use transferred data.
skelm... lol

STORMERSFAN

That's why I used to

make sure I use all my data before the month ends.. I normally left about 50 megs just to be safe so that I don't go oob(before new regulations kicked in)

Jannie Nieuwoudt

It seems that the Vodacom call centre staff are also confused about what is allowed and what not. I spoke to several ones yesterday and many have different answers on my questions. One insisted that contract data can only be transferred between exactly the same contracts. They wanted to downgrade my Red data 6Gig contract to a Top-up 4 Gig one ( like my children and wife) to enable data transfers to and from them! They quoted me R700 to do this downgrade..!!
The next one said that data transfers can only be done 7 days before expiry of data, and that it will then be valid for thirty days on the recipient’s phone. She also insisted that the contracts do not need to be the same between the donor and receiver of the data. Another lady at the call centre announced that my Red Data 6Gig contract is a so called “open line” and that no data can be transferred from such a contract to anyone. ..! I also cannot add a prepaid Vodacom phone as a recipient of my data. It must be a contract phone and on exactly the same contract..!
More of their stories:
Data transfers will be free for 50Mb and less.
1 Gig transfer will cost R20
You can do 20 x 50 Mb (1 Gig) transfers for free to the same recipient..!! (Lots of typing but for free)
My impression is that the call centre staff are very confused and are quite clueless to what can be done and what not. The last call centre lady at least gave me 3Gb data for my son’s phone for free when I told her about the confusion.....

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Data transfer doesn't work for me. Every time I get a message " the number you are trying to link is not compatible for your payment plan vodacom" It doesn't matter if I try to send to a prepaid or contract no.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
It seems that the Vodacom call centre staff are also confused about what is allowed and what not. I spoke to several ones yesterday and many have different answers on my questions. One insisted that contract data can only be transferred between exactly the same contracts. They wanted to downgrade my Red data 6Gig contract to a Top-up 4 Gig one ( like my children and wife) to enable data transfers to and from them! They quoted me R700 to do this downgrade..!!
The next one said that data transfers can only be done 7 days before expiry of data, and that it will then be valid for thirty days on the recipient’s phone. She also insisted that the contracts do not need to be the same between the donor and receiver of the data. Another lady at the call centre announced that my Red Data 6Gig contract is a so called “open line” and that no data can be transferred from such a contract to anyone. ..! I also cannot add a prepaid Vodacom phone as a recipient of my data. It must be a contract phone and on exactly the same contract..!
More of their stories:
Data transfers will be free for 50Mb and less.
1 Gig transfer will cost R20
You can do 20 x 50 Mb (1 Gig) transfers for free to the same recipient..!! (Lots of typing but for free)
My impression is that the call centre staff are very confused and are quite clueless to what can be done and what not. The last call centre lady at least gave me 3Gb data for my son’s phone for free when I told her about the confusion.....
It is so ridiculous that you can only transfer to somebody on the same contract.

SAguy

Expert Member
It is so ridiculous that you can only transfer to somebody on the same contract.
They deliberately make so many business rules around this that neither their customers or support staff can figure it out.

I'm pretty sure there's like a 1% chance that you'll be able to transfer data given all the rules.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
They deliberately make so many business rules around this that neither their customers or support staff can figure it out.

I'm pretty sure there's like a 1% chance that you'll be able to transfer data given all the rules.
This is the reply I just received from them on Messenger
Transfer of data bundles is available for ALL Payment types but can only be shared with the same types:
• Postpaid customers share with Postpaid and Hybrid customers
• Hybrid customers share with Hybrid and Postpaid customers
• Prepaid customers share data with Prepaid customers
• Customers on NXT LVL price plans share with NXT LVL customers
• Customers on MBB price plans share with MBB customers.

slumdawg

This is the reply I just received from them on Messenger
I was told my contract does not allow me to transfer data I'm on the u choose flexi 220(30) since beginning of last month as the 220 was changed to 230.

naasier

You cant transfer data/ airtime that Vodacom allocates to you. If Vodacom allocates R100 or 1gb to you a month as part of the contract, it must be used on that contract number.
You can only transfer additional data/airtime that you have bought and loaded on the sim car. Hope that is clear enough.
The same applies for when your contract is renewed, your old airtime does not get carried over to a new contract regardless if it was allocated or bought from the shop.
Vodacom contracts are a rip off as your call rate on contracts is more expensive and per minute billing. If you are using R100 airtime a month and you move over to a top up R100 contract, you will start spending more. Everything above is from personal experience.

SAguy

Expert Member
You cant transfer data/ airtime that Vodacom allocates to you. If Vodacom allocates R100 or 1gb to you a month as part of the contract, it must be used on that contract number.
You can only transfer additional data/airtime that you have bought and loaded on the sim car. Hope that is clear enough.
The same applies for when your contract is renewed, your old airtime does not get carried over to a new contract regardless if it was allocated or bought from the shop.
Vodacom contracts are a rip off as your call rate on contracts is more expensive and per minute billing. If you are using R100 airtime a month and you move over to a top up R100 contract, you will start spending more. Everything above is from personal experience.
The last chat I had with Vodacom they said you can transfer contract data, but only in the last 5 days of the month, and then the data will still expire ag the original date.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
According to their reply to me on messenger you can transfer it. If I understand the message correct.

With the new Icasa regulations, If you would like to transfer data on contract, you need to do it 7 days before the expiry date.

SAguy

Expert Member
According to their reply to me on messenger you can transfer it. If I understand the message correct.
And I was told 5 days
It's amazing how they can purposely try hide how your contract works

"D"

If you have a 30-day data bundle, you can transfer it via the USSD menu as follows:

*111#
NEXT
SERVICES
NEXT
DATA TRANSFERS

Some promotional data bundles (14-day, 7-day, 3-day and 1-day) are also transferable, while others are not.

Interestingly, I have not discovered a way to transfer voice minutes! (If airtime as well as data allocations can be transferred, why not Voice Minutes and SMS bundles, I wonder?)