TV colour shifting - cause? repair or replace?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
My TV started doing this about an hour ago:

The colours are seperating and shifting. No power surge as far as we can tell. No magnets in the vicinity. Occurs across all the inputs so not isolated to Roku or DSTV or PS4.

Anyone had this occur to them and what did you do?

It is about 9 years old. Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD TV. Should I bother trying to have it repaired, or should I just bite the bullet and replace it? If repair, any suggestions on a reputable repairer that you have used in the greater Durban area?

BraBean

Honorary Master
It is about 9 years old. Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD TV. Should I bother trying to have it repaired, or should I just bite the bullet and replace it? If repair, any suggestions on a reputable repairer that you have used in the greater Durban area?

Looks more like Plasma. If Plasma, replace. It's probably reached it's eol.

EDIT: Could test a different cable, though

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Oh, ok. I had a plasma that did that to me. You say all inputs? You using a splitter for the inputs/switch, or are there enough ports on the tv for all?
There are enough ports, so all devices connected directly into the TV.

The Roku is drawing power from the TV via USB as well. Wonder if that killed it. :unsure: Can't imagine how though.

BraBean

Honorary Master
There are enough ports, so all devices connected directly into the TV.

The Roku is drawing power from the TV via USB as well. Wonder if that killed it. :unsure: Can't imagine how though.
Did you try removing the Roku? Remove all and test one at a time?

braailekker11

My TV started doing this about an hour ago:

View attachment 772004

The colours are seperating and shifting. No power surge as far as we can tell. No magnets in the vicinity. Occurs across all the inputs so not isolated to Roku or DSTV or PS4.

Anyone had this occur to them and what did you do?

Looks like your TV is busted. Get a new one.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's served it's time, looks like it needs to be replaced.

Milano

Honorary Master
If it is faulty then a 9 year old TV is usually best replaced. Unless you have access to free repair assistance like Repair Cafe.

Qrox

Expert Member
My guess would be that its the panel itself thats messed up.
If thats the case you might as well get a new TV. Don't think it would make financial sense to try and replace that.
If it was a newer tv (4-5 years old) then it might have been worth the effort / money.
Seems like a good excuse for a upgrade.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Thanks guys.

Seems like a good excuse for a upgrade.

Yep, good deals at Makro currently so going to go shopping this weekend. :thumbsup:

Just disappointed at the suddeness (sp?) of it. One minute perfectly fine, the next.. Kaput

Qrox

Expert Member
Thanks guys.

Yep, good deals at Makro currently so going to go shopping this weekend. :thumbsup:

Just disappointed at the suddeness (sp?) of it. One minute perfectly fine, the next.. Kaput

I think its pretty rare these days to see any sign that its going to die. About the only hardware that I've had a warning that something is wrong is with a sound system that keeps turning off cause off heat issues, so I know its not going to live for much longer.