Unemployed Microsoft SQL guy at traffic lights

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
That sounds a bit fishy tbh, I don't believe you will be unemployed for being over 50 for a skilled job. There will be other reasons.
You'd be surprised... I know many older guys with good skills, without work. Younger guys are cheaper and new skill is often desired over old school

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Guys also don't forget that some IT guys aren't good at networking. We sit in front of our screens, get assigned tasks by a PM so we don't get opportunity to meet and network with people as we are too busy solving IT projects. We try learn new tech all the time but it's hard if you don't have the opportunity to implement it in new projects. The company owns the client so even if the client loves us but our company pushes us out for younger guys or don't renew our contract we can't just go to the company's client directly and work for them due to restrictive contracts. We can open our own company but other clients don't like working with a company of 1 employee as it is too much of a risk, if for example a bus hits you in the middle of a complex project.
I was expecting a nice secure job in IT seeing the opportunities in the 90's and my love for PCs. I decided to study IT in 2000 but to my surprise it seemed that everyone wanted to be in IT all of a sudden. It soon became a race to the bottom.

tridev

I was expecting a nice secure job in IT seeing the opportunities in the 90's and my love for PCs. I decided to study IT in 2000 but to my surprise it seemed that everyone wanted to be in IT all of a sudden. It soon became a race to the bottom.
these days it's worse. It's so easy to get trained for free on the internet with free open courseware degrees, all these coding boot camps, kids being pushed into IT as parents think it's the future. So much competition it's become impossible to get a client willing to pay a decent salary.

kolaval

Expert Member
Sigh, I'm of two minds about this.
A. It's scary and could possibly happen to me. Life is unfair sometimes.
B. A lot of people are truly lazy/incompetent/lying POS.

If he worked for all these companies and on all these projects. How is it possible they cannot use him anymore? I've met so many of type B it's sad.

lotus123

So many "smug" comments - drugs, high salary expectations...

Sometimes good people end up on the outside through no real fault of their own. Psychopathic bosses, and HR departments that serve managers like that instead of their employees. And affirmative quotas and tightening budgets. Or maybe a creeping and debilitating illness like depression wiped out his motivation and productivity.

Nobody has the right to pontificate. The OP showed real compassion, let's try and be like him.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So many "smug" comments - drugs, high salary expectations...

Sometimes good people end up on the outside through no real fault of their own. Psychopathic bosses, and HR departments that serve managers like that instead of their employees. And affirmative quotas and tightening budgets. Or maybe a creeping and debilitating illness like depression wiped out his motivation and productivity.

Nobody has the right to pontificate. The OP showed real compassion, let's try and be like him.
"Smug" right. No, our comments were there is more to this story than meets the eye.

lotus123

"Smug" right. No, our comments were there is more to this story than meets the eye.
You're right - and while nobody really knows what it is, it's not nice to reach for explanations that suit one's own narrative. Cool to discuss the broader reasons like economy and job market, but let's leave it there.

(And here I am, pontificating. Sorry!)