Unifi in-wall AP's anyone?

SAguy

Expert Member
I'm running a Unifi setup at home and have a need for an AP that will be a bit more inconspicuous while also allowing for a physical cable when needed. The Unifi in-wall AP's look great, some even having a built in 4 port switch.

Has anyone installed one of them before? In terms of fitment will they fit in a standard SA lightswitch box?

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, I have used them but you are not meant to use them in the same conduit as 220VAC cables

They need a 50 x 100 wall box

SAguy

Expert Member
Yes, I have used them but you are not meant to use them in the same conduit as 220VAC cables

They need a 50 x 100 wall box
Definitely wouldn't run network in the same conduit as power..
50 x 100 is your standard 4 x 2 box correct?

lkswan747

Expert Member
1591543601490.pngThis is the standard 100X50 wall box.
Dimensions are:
Length - 260mm
Width - 185mm
Height - 50mm

The dimensions of the Unifi In Wall AP are:
Dimensions: 139.7 x 86.7 x 25.75mm
Hope this helps you.

Crowley

Executive Member
I have these in the bedrooms as well. The standard wall boxes are not deep enough for the ap and the network cable at the back though. Looking for deeper wall boxes is still on my to do list.

skyw4lk3r

Here's another option
3d print this

Tim_vb

I think these are ment for drywall with a plastic wall box? Putting a WiFi AP in a metal enclosure sunk into brick and cement is going to kill the signal.

lkswan747

Expert Member
I think these are ment for drywall with a plastic wall box? Putting a WiFi AP in a metal enclosure sunk into brick and cement is going to kill the signal.
Agreed, the box will act as a Faraday cage.

skyw4lk3r

Here's another option
3d print this
I've got one of these 3d printed wall mounts up for sale
Was going to purchase the in wall HD, but ended up going for a ceiling mounted AP.

So selling this mount. Selling at my cost price, R85

OCP

Expert Member
I've got one of these 3d printed wall mounts up for sale
Was going to purchase the in wall HD, but ended up going for a ceiling mounted AP.

So selling this mount. Selling at my cost price, R85
I might be interred - where are you based?

websquadza

WebSquad
Throwing my two cents in here.

Running two of these (ac lite model) myself. We’ve also Installed many for clients. They work like a charm and the POE pass through and extra LAN ports are great. They sit on the wall, not in the wall- the backplate attaches to the two screw points on the wall box. Standard 4x2 wallbox is fine- no need for extra depth or fancy mounts. Get a stable 400-450 Mbps with reasonably decent coverage forward of the AP. It doesn’t broadcast backwards very well at all- so make sure you pick a wall that “faces” the rest of the desired coverage area.