Upgrading early on a MTN contract

tonnies

Hey guys!

I recently went to MTN to find out if I can upgrade early on my contract. I got an HTC Wildfire phone on an Anytime 100 contract, but it got stolen in Jan. I can only upgrade in May 2013, and they told me if I want to upgrade now I have to cancel my contract and get a new one. The cancellation fee would have been R2200, which is a bit steep, sinc the phone is worth R2200... I don't know how they calculate this fee, maybe you can help me with that? Also, is there any other way out of a MTN contract? OR do I have to wait until May 2013 before I can switch to another network?:wtf:

tonnies

This is my first post, and I realised I posted in the wrong category, don't know how to change it so I will just copy it to the right category, sorry.

NN123

Hey guys!

I recently went to MTN to find out if I can upgrade early on my contract. I got an HTC Wildfire phone on an Anytime 100 contract, but it got stolen in Jan. I can only upgrade in May 2013, and they told me if I want to upgrade now I have to cancel my contract and get a new one. The cancellation fee would have been R2200, which is a bit steep, sinc the phone is worth R2200... I don't know how they calculate this fee, maybe you can help me with that? Also, is there any other way out of a MTN contract? OR do I have to wait until May 2013 before I can switch to another network?:wtf:

Usually they work it out on how many months of the contract is outstanding and charge you for that. So R2200 means you still owe them R2200 if you had to continue to pay till the end of the contract.
Yes that is quiet ridiculous as you should just continue your contract and still receive airtime on the sim.
Do you still have the sim? If that was stolen as well you can request a new one from them with the same number and receive your R100 airtime pm.

My cell was stolen once I was on MTN. Basically you have to buy a new phone or take out a new contract. But remember, there is no point on cancelling because the fee is the same if you continue every month. So Just buy a new phone.