USD - ZAR trade anomally

aalwees

1589193315623.png
Could someone who knows something about currency trade tell me what the hell this strange anomaly is. I've never seen anything like this before. It looks like big trades done in a way that responds to the reaction. Could it be a sell-off until it reaches a price threshold > wait for recovery > sell again > repeat? Or the other way around in a massive buy?

kiepie

Executive Member
This is normally over the weekend with little to no trading.

I know most (all) markets (excl. Bitcoin etc.) are closed between 23h00 Friday evening to 23h00 Sunday evening.

aalwees

That explanation doesn't quite satisfy me. I have noticed that the weekends pretty much flatline but this seems different in its detail. Take a closer look at previous weekends and you'll see they are quiet, pretty much hold the line. This has a strong, regular harmonic up and down to the same level at two different stages. Why the harmonic?

Last edited:

aalwees

Could it be that the graph might now be given a higher resolution so one sees weekend activity detail one doesn't normally see?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weekends and public holidays have thin trading leading to oddities. I have found that GBP ZAR is even stranger than USD ZAR during holidays.

Forum Reader

A lot of charts don't even have the weekends on it. eg. this one I normally refer to: