Vodacom Please Call Me case: "real inventor" comments

Sodan

Expert Member
“Intellectual ownership and rights to compensation are governed by the sovereignty afforded to the inventor under Patent Protection Law. Clearly nobody other than the true inventor has any claim to compensation,” the patent expert said.
Incorrect. Nobody other than the guy who filed the patent first has any claim to compensation. Just because you filed first, doesn't mean you invented the thing. It just means you filed first.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Can't the article specify when MTN filed for the patent and when it was accepted. This would then pretty much clear up any confusion. And then also, if MTN has the patent, why has MTN not gone after Vodacom for patent infringement or am I missing something here?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't understand how this can even be patented. There is nothing unique about the "Please Call Me Service". It is just simply SMS and USSD. If anyone should be compensated it should be the people who invented SMS and USSD.

eehellfire

Executive Member
I don't understand how this can even be patented. There is nothing unique about the "Please Call Me Service". It is just simply SMS and USSD. If anyone should be compensated it should be the people who invented SMS and USSD.
I don't understand how a Ducati can even be patented. There is nothing unique about a motorbike. It is just simply a bicycle and an engine. If anyone should be compensated it should be the people who invented bicycles and engines.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't understand how a Ducati can even be patented. There is nothing unique about a motorbike. It is just simply a bicycle and an engine. If anyone should be compensated it should be the people who invented bicycles and engines.
Motorbikes aren't patented, anybody can build a motorbike without being sued. You've just illustrated my point.

siraman

Expert Member
Oh dear..between a rock and a hard place?

Makate may like to avoid highlighting the relevance of MTN’s patent in the case because it can leave him without the legal foundation to claim that he invented the service.
Vodacom may also like to avoid the patent issue because it can feel exposed to additional legal action if it now acknowledges after all these years that its product is based on the intellectual property of its competitor
why has MTN not gone after Vodacom for patent infringement or am I missing something here?
^^ Let's not forget the Duopoly collusion "agreements" between the red & yellow(my conspiracy theory:)).

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
Makate said that his boss at the time, Philip Geissler, promised in an oral agreement to facilitate remuneration negotiations with the company.
Kind of off topic but I've been in a similar situation before with my previous company. I directly hooked them up with a fairly large contract where they made some good money. Initially was verbally promised something in return, two years later when everything was done and everyone was happy and paid, the senior bastard who made the promise said there was nothing in writing so well... sorry for me. He made a huge commission off the project though.

ponder

Honorary Master
Dude, Apple can patent rounded corners...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Yes, and the US patent system is seriously messed up. Sounds like South Africa's is too. You should not be able to patent an idea that merely makes use of existing technologies.

DvD

Incorrect. Nobody other than the guy who filed the patent first has any claim to compensation. Just because you filed first, doesn't mean you invented the thing. It just means you filed first.
True. Just remember that the person listed as the inventor on the first-filed patent must still in fact be the inventor (or, an inventor of the same thing. Two people can obviously invent the same thing at the same time). But, if you can prove that they stole your idea, you may have some form of recourse.

DvD

If the patent that the rounded corners refers to was filed in South Africa, it would have been called a registered design. The US calls what most of the world calls registered designs, "design patents". So, even though in the Stated they refer to something as patented, it may actually be what we in SA call a "registered design".

DvD

Yes, and the US patent system is seriously messed up. Sounds like South Africa's is too. You should not be able to patent an idea that merely makes use of existing technologies.
Pretty much every mechanical invention is just a new combination of existing mechanical technologies.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Someone wants pocketmoney. :whistling:

EDIT: If I 'invent' something here at work that has a positive effect, I sure as hell won't be compensated for it :rolleyes:

Last edited: