Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I logged another call with 155 last night - and asked the lady on the other end to please skip all the preliminary cr@p - since I'd been through it all already.

So she was cool, she logged the call for me - but she did mention that there have been a lot of problems in the general Cape Town area lately - especially at night.
 
Code:
C:\Users\AirWolf>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [74.125.79.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1   181 ms     *        *     10.113.144.2
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12   615 ms   312 ms   289 ms  ey-in-f99.google.com [74.125.79.99]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\AirWolf>

Looks like a DNS issue because hostnames are taking like forever to resolve :(.
 
RSSI: -95 dBm
MCC: 655
MNC: 01
Operator: Vodacom
RAT: HSD+UPA
LAC: 55
RNC ID: 0
Cell ID: 32056
Uplink: 1408
Downlink: N/A
APN: internet
Connection Type: 3G Only

That is all the info from MDMA.
 
3G disconnects continue. Resorted to GPRS only connection to connect. GPRS is stable. How many times do I have to phone 155 before the problem is sorted out?
 
Ok, it seems like my problems are OS based:o

Works fine in Madriva; having the above issues in Vista.

The last thing I installed was Eset NOD 32 version 4 [upgraded from v3].
 
Sigh

This is really getting frustrating, still having problems with throughput and now to top it all off I was unable to do anything for the last 3 hours.

My pc connects to the internet apn and then nothing... no througput at all.

Seems to be up for now but this is ridiculous, when is this going to get sorted out?
 
Hillfox / Panorama

3G started deteriorating last night. This morning I was able to connect after several tries, but with No Throughput. Hillfox / Panorama. Right now I am only getting GPRS. :eek:
 
Similar problems in Prince Albert (Western Cape) Started experiencing high latency on HSDPA a few days ago. Today 3G is not available most of the time and when I can connect there is little or no throughput before it disconnects. On GPRS now but also seeing no data in or out at times.
 
My apologies for digging up this old post:
Yup, that's one of the port being targeted. Did you get a source IP?
Unfortunately not. I also noticed something trying to get in to LSASS.EXE (Local Security Authority Service) recently while my wife was logged on, but can't see anything in the logs.

Just managed to catch two of these:
Description LSA Shell (Export Version) requested permission to access the internet.
Rating High
Date / Time 2009-03-09 19:14:36+2:00
Type Repeat Server Program
Program D:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
Source IP 64.231.166.162:500
Destination IP
Direction Incoming (accept)
Action Taken Blocked (once)
Count 1
Source DNS bas6-london14-1088923298.dsl.bell.ca
Destination DNS
Policy default-policy
Description LSA Shell (Export Version) requested permission to access the internet.
Rating High
Date / Time 2009-03-09 19:38:12+2:00
Type Repeat Server Program
Program D:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
Source IP 79.22.39.248:500
Destination IP
Direction Incoming (accept)
Action Taken Blocked (once)
Count 1
Source DNS host248-39-dynamic.22-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it
Destination DNS
Policy default-policy
My IP address is currently 41.4.134.170 and I'm on the 'internet' APN, fortunately Zone Alarm says no...
 
Port 500 is a IPSec VPN Port, which should fall under the few open ports on the internet APN.

Edit: I see 500 is the source port, which might actually be what the hack is all about. Specify your source port into the allowed range in order to attack any other service?
 
Last edited:
Just got a SMS fron ginggs. He disconnected and can no longer reconnect. So if you are connected but things are slow, it could be worse :p
 
Just got a SMS fron ginggs. He disconnected and can no longer reconnect. So if you are connected but things are slow, it could be worse :p
Been getting "zombie" connections from about 20:30 until now, connect to the network, get IP address, but can't resolve DNS or ping anything.
 
Okay, it is now getting to me as well. All is well and then suddenly (usually after 8pm) transfer just stops. I still send data (heavens knows where) but all receiving just stops. When I go to my network connections (in Vista) it shows there is no connection to the net. Do what I want it does not reappear (even after several disconnect and reconnect session).

Also, I cannot seems to change my DNS server. I change it when not connected, but as soon as I connect it reverts to the manual configured settings (80.......). I guess it is picking it up from the modem?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X