Voicy does Norway

Voicy

Honorary Master
Hi friends,

In lieu of all the depressing news Ponder and a few others asked me to post a few tidbits of Viking country. I neither guarantee these posts to be interesting, nor entertaining, but I hope some of you might like some of it. Here goes:

Voicy does Norway...why the crap Norway?

I'll leave the boring details out of a public forum, but essentially I was headhunted to come and work for an engineering company via a contact as they needed guys in a niche field. 2 months later I was on a plane.

Ok so where in Norway?

We work pretty much ALL over Norway, even to the most obscure corners, but I'm based in Vesterålen. It's an island above the arctic circle which is unique in that it receives warm climate from the gulf stream that passes through it...so although we're far north, the climate is actually quite pleasant...the only of its kind along this latitude in the world. An hour's drive below us is an island range called Lofoten. I've never heard of it before coming here, but apparently it's world famous...and after visiting it, I can see why. Just do a google image search on it...I'll wait here.

This is what the little town I live in looks during autumn. Around 10DegC, but even in -10 I walk around outside in a T shirt as long as it's not windy...and for someone who normally gets manflu twice a year, every year, I haven't been sick ONCE since I've been here.
IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

Due to attachment limits I'll make random posts in this thread. Please let me know what's boring and what you'd want to see more of. Text vs pics etc. (or even if the attachments are too large)

Pitbull

Verboten
Just rub it in our faces why don't you?

I told you in another thread that I'm coming over to visit. You'd better keep them blondes on standby!!!

Very beautiful place. Just stunning.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Gosh, that really is very beautiful. I have always wanted to see Scandinavia and Alaska. For some reason those areas just hold a fascination value for me.

kim_bcs

Company Rep
Hi friends,

In lieu of all the depressing news Ponder and a few others asked me to post a few tidbits of Viking country. I neither guarantee these posts to be interesting, nor entertaining, but I hope some of you might like some of it. Here goes:

Voicy does Norway...why the crap Norway?

I'll leave the boring details out of a public forum, but essentially I was headhunted to come and work for an engineering company via a contact as they needed guys in a niche field. 2 months later I was on a plane.

Ok so where in Norway?

We work pretty much ALL over Norway, even to the most obscure corners, but I'm based in Vesterålen. It's an island above the arctic circle which is unique in that it receives warm climate from the gulf stream that passes through it...so although we're far north, the climate is actually quite pleasant...the only of its kind along this latitude in the world. An hour's drive below us is an island range called Lofoten. I've never heard of it before coming here, but apparently it's world famous...and after visiting it, I can see why. Just do a google image search on it...I'll wait here.

This is what the little town I live in looks during autumn. Around 10DegC, but even in -10 I walk around outside in a T shirt as long as it's not windy...and for someone who normally gets manflu twice a year, every year, I haven't been sick ONCE since I've been here.
View attachment 232750

View attachment 232752

View attachment 232754

Due to attachment limits I'll make random posts in this thread. Please let me know what's boring and what you'd want to see more of. Text vs pics etc. (or even if the attachments are too large)

Wow, beautiful. still have to go to Lofoten.

My wife and I are moving to Norway at the end of the month. I have a job in Stavanger (not in the oil industry). Really looking forward to not needing to think about things like alarms when leaving the house, being able to walk anywhere without really thinking about it etc.

Voicy

Honorary Master
So this is the place I call home...

View from the office:
IMG_3013.jpg

Our local bridge connecting Vesterålen with the next island.
IMG_3926.jpg

The town's local christmas tree.
IMG_3578.jpg

Snapped this pic from inside my bedroom.
IMG_3755.jpg

We have a small ski slope in our town. This is what it looks like from the top.
IMG_4448.jpg

There's a ferry route called the Hurtigruten. About 10 or so cruise ships travelling all along Norway. They pass through town twice a day and it's pretty cool. Check out hurtigruten.no , you can even track the ships.

IMG_4455.jpg

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
What is the language barrier like? Do most of them speak and understand English? Do they have signs and docs in English?

Voicy

Honorary Master
Northern lights.

The aurora borealis is extremely strong here during winter and although you could see more of it further north, over here it's portrayed pretty great with the stabby mountain range and fjords around it. Going out and filming it at night is one of my favourite things to do. These didn't come out great since I was using my compact digital (Canon Powershot S120) to shoot it with. Got a new 60D but I have NO idea how to use it. :/

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

Ridolfc

Expert Member
It looks really cold but so awesome.
I have always wanted to live in a small town far away from busy cities. Maybe one day.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Looks amazing. Please keep updating the thread, always enjoy reading personal accounts like these.

How have you found the Norwegians?

Voicy

Honorary Master
Wow, beautiful. still have to go to Lofoten.

My wife and I are moving to Norway at the end of the month. I have a job in Stavanger (not in the oil industry). Really looking forward to not needing to think about things like alarms when leaving the house, being able to walk anywhere without really thinking about it etc.

Ah fantastic, congrats! Shout if you need any help with anything. Stavanger is awesome. I spent a few weeks on mountains overlooking the city.

You're going to be right next to Pulpit Rock! Google "Preikestolen" It's an awwwwesome cliff plateau with a straight drop down almost 1km down to the fjord below.

Here's some pics of Stavanger:

l3kbDFX.jpg

WxrFlqy.jpg

NLWDvKe.jpg

Gosh, that really is very beautiful. I have always wanted to see Scandinavia and Alaska. For some reason those areas just hold a fascination value for me.

I visited Denmark and Sweden in 2001 and promised myself that if I ever got a job offer in Scandanavia I'd move tomorrow....so when that offer knocked on the door I couldn't say no. It wasn't easy, but sure is worth it. IT's rather ironic that the part of the world known for it's vikings as being the most ruthless and barbaric society ever...is now at the forefront of civilized life.

What is the language barrier like? Do most of them speak and understand English? Do they have signs and docs in English?

People do speak English or so they like to think. Down south it's fine, but the further north you move the worse it gets...reminds me of the Freestate actually. You can be a tourist in Norway and get by just fine on English, but make no mistake, you HAVE to learn it if you want to live here. I only speak Norwegian at work, albeit broken, but you learn to pick it up rather quickly.

Getting settled is hard. Really hard. Paying 3 month's rent for rental deposit is normal...and as a South African you can use your drivers license for 3 months then you need to redo the entire thing in Norway, from your learners license through to your practical test...at the cheap cheap price of R40k. (It includes ice skid pad driving, 1st aid, night driving 20hrs normal driving, long distance driving and risk analysis...since it's illegal to pass a traffic accident without stopping to offer assistance. Kinda neat.)

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Really looking forward to not needing to think about things like alarms when leaving the house

This took some getting used to here - felt strange just leaving the house and shutting the door...no alarms, extra security gates, leaving the outside light on at night.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I visited Denmark and Sweden in 2001 and promised myself that if I ever got a job offer in Scandanavia I'd move tomorrow....so when that offer knocked on the door I couldn't say no. It wasn't easy, but sure is worth it. IT's rather ironic that the part of the world known for it's vikings as being the most ruthless and barbaric society ever...is now at the forefront of civilized life.

People do speak English or so they like to think. Down south it's fine, but the further north you move the worse it gets...reminds me of the Freestate actually. You can be a tourist in Norway and get by just fine on English, but make no mistake, you HAVE to learn it if you want to live here. I only speak Norwegian at work, albeit broken, but you learn to pick it up rather quickly.

Getting settled is hard. Really hard. Paying 3 month's rent for rental deposit is normal...and as a South African you can use your drivers license for 3 months then you need to redo the entire thing in Norway, from your learners license through to your practical test...at the cheap cheap price of R40k. (It includes ice skid pad driving, 1st aid, night driving 20hrs normal driving, long distance driving and risk analysis...since it's illegal to pass a traffic accident without stopping to offer assistance. Kinda neat.)

Dear lord! That is hectic! I dont know if I would be able to learn another language.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Go home sun, you're drunk!

So being above the arctic circle means the sun doesn't play by the rules. In winter we don't see the sun from mid November until Mid January. It gets light...but you don't actually see the sun as it stays below the horison.

Right now with it being summer, it hasn't been dark since early June. Unless it's cloudy you see the sun 24/7.

Midday in winter:

10359238_10154911308675602_2310104800000729088_n.jpg

Midnight in summer:

VNa18jw.jpg