Volvo S60 upgrade

Oliver123

Right, so I am one happy Volvo S60 D4 owner and driver. This is my first diesel vehicle and subsequently my first Volvo as well.

With the new S60's launch not too far away in the future I am already thinking about a possible replacement vehicle in future. I love my car and I am in no rush to trade it in, but being practical me I just like to plan ahead.

The S60 being a sedan suits me just fine. I don't have the need for anything bigger as I have a small family and the car is mostly being used for my daily commute to work.

My problem is the new S60 will not offer any diesel models. For those who don't know - Volvo is ditching the diesel to focus on the development of electric engines. However in the interim they will just offer petrol engines.

I have no intention of going back to a petrol engine car, so the 2019 Volvo S60 is out of the question. What options will compare best with my S60 D4 as replacement? Keep in mind I am not open to the idea of a BMW.

Sumen

Expert Member
Right, so I am one happy Volvo S60 D4 owner and driver. This is my first diesel vehicle and subsequently my first Volvo as well.

With the new S60's launch not too far away in the future I am already thinking about a possible replacement vehicle in future. I love my car and I am in no rush to trade it in, but being practical me I just like to plan ahead.

The S60 being a sedan suits me just fine. I don't have the need for anything bigger as I have a small family and the car is mostly being used for my daily commute to work.

My problem is the new S60 will not offer any diesel models. For those who don't know - Volvo is ditching the diesel to focus on the development of electric engines. However in the interim they will just offer petrol engines.

I have no intention of going back to a petrol engine car, so the 2019 Volvo S60 is out of the question. What options will compare best with my S60 D4 as replacement? Keep in mind I am not open to the idea of a BMW.
What's your budget?
Also what gen S60?

Last edited:

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
OP, don't take this the wrong way, but if you're happy with your current S60, why replace it? The D4 is truly an amazing car with a lovely engine. If I were you I'd drive it until it starts to give me too many headaches to justify keeping it - that's likely quite a few years down the line.

Oliver123

OP, don't take this the wrong way, but if you're happy with your current S60, why replace it? The D4 is truly an amazing car with a lovely engine. If I were you I'd drive it until it starts to give me too many headaches to justify keeping it - that's likely quite a few years down the line.
I know its a lovely car and you do have a valid point! It's my first new car and I have never owned such a premium brand car before so I am just a little bit concerned about maintenance once the motor plan runs out. And yes, I am still smiling every time I get behind the wheel of my Volvo!

Sumen

Expert Member
Second generation S60
In terms of budget it will have to be in line with a new Volvo S60
Ok, I'll have to look at international prices and get back to you, maybe you could get a 1 -2 year old S90 if the budget is right.

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
I know! Had one for a weekend. A little too big for my needs though.
, and I managed to find one for R550 000, oh well.

Maybe you just need make peace with petrol, diesel is going to be phased out by a lot of manufactures soon , due to regulations.

Oliver123

, and I managed to find one for R550 000, oh well.

Maybe you just need make peace with petrol, diesel is going to be phased out by a lot of manufactures soon , due to regulations.
I will avoid petrol as far as possible. Getting so much more joy out of my diesel car in comparison with all my petrol cars before.

Sumen

Expert Member
I will avoid petrol as far as possible. Getting so much more joy out of my diesel car in comparison with all my petrol cars before.
Maybe you need to test drive the new S60 first when it comes out next year and then decide whether you still want to stick with diesel.

Moneywaster

Turbo petrol cars also have lots of torque. I will not swap my 2.5T Kuga for the diesel version anytime soon.

Sumen

Expert Member
Believe me, I will stick with diesel. :)
Ok. Well you got the following options then:

1. Vw Arteon 2.0TDI Elegance
  2. 1 Year Old Merc C-Class - A new one starts from R585 000 for petrol
  3. Audi A4 2.0TDI
  4. 1 Year old Volvo XC60