Vox and Vumatel installation time?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
How long did you wait for Vox to install a vumatel fiber line more or less?

They seem pretty slow took two days just to verify the rica documents I sent them, and it just says "authorizing" since I registered, no idea what that means.

Last edited:

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Personally no.

I went live with WebAfrica and Vuma. Got a call from Vuma that they were installing on a specific date and next day I was online.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Personally no.

I went live with WebAfrica and Vuma. Got a call from Vuma that they were installing on a specific date and next day I was online.

Should have gone with them , phoned Vox they havent even scheduled it yet with Vumatel -_- and eta is 4 to 6 weeks ....

haroldj

How long is the wait for Vodacom/ Vumatel aerial network connection, when I signed the contract they (vodacom) said infrastructure was being installed in my area, that was in November 2018.

Azimuth

Expert Member
I’m not in any particular rush as I’m planning ahead of my relocation from JHB to CPT. Here’s a record of my little journey...

On 11 March, someone at Vox picked up the lead from their website or Vuma’s...can’t remember which one I submitted my request on. Got confirmation of a promo on the go with covered all costs subject to a 12 month term. On the same day, we had some back and forth on Pro vs Standard packages - I opted for Standard.

I submitted all my docs on 11 March and got confirmation on 12 March. I then got a quote via email which I accepted. Some more back and forth which ended with me selecting a payment method.

On 13 March they rejected my certified ID because the commissioner of oaths stamp did not provide for name and surname. I sent a link to a colour scan of my ID on Dropbox which they accepted.

On 15 March I got a mail saying that a sales order had been logged.

On 18 March I got my VT order number for the Vumatel work order. I passed this on to Vumatel Cape Town Support.

On 22 March I followed up with Vumatel about scheduling my installation. Some time between 22-26 I got a phone call to schedule and we agreed on a date and time. On the 26 March I got an appointment confirmation email from Vumatel. One then has to accept the T&Cs of the installation which goes through an online portal and generates final confirmation.

My actual installation is booked for 2 May...

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Just got word back today from Vumatel, my install date is scheduled on April 24 ... luckily its not may.

Savy561

My installation from vumatel took about a month to install as well, so much for that 1 week to 2 weeks installation time isp's advertise.:ROFL:

8BitLife

Got a call from Vumatel on a Monday morning. They were ready to come install that same day. Booked it for that Friday though and the people were there on time. Only issue was that Vumatel is supposed to come ahead of time to do the splicing on the boundary box. They had from Monday morning to do it. Friday the guys finished the installation and...Vumatel still hadn't been there to do the splicing. Again, they had the whole week to do it. Eventually managed to get it done on the Saturday afternoon after I stayed on their case.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Got a call from Vumatel on a Monday morning. They were ready to come install that same day. Booked it for that Friday though and the people were there on time. Only issue was that Vumatel is supposed to come ahead of time to do the splicing on the boundary box. They had from Monday morning to do it. Friday the guys finished the installation and...Vumatel still hadn't been there to do the splicing. Again, they had the whole week to do it. Eventually managed to get it done on the Saturday afternoon after I stayed on their case.

I hope that wont be a problem here , but I have a feeling that it might be its a complex and their website did say some one will be there a week in advance to do some work.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
A quick update, they came on yesterday , did a fantastic job with the install it they were really professional, I phone Vox immediately afterwords , who wanted me to wait for their technician to come install their router (one that I learned from a previous post that they tend to block you out of and don't give you the username and password for) , it took a bit of explaining but after 15 minutes they activated my router and the internet is working like a dream!

They are going to send a technician next week friday to install their router, I might just decline and keep mine as its working great.

CPTBoy

Expert Member
A quick update, they came on yesterday , did a fantastic job with the install it they were really professional, I phone Vox immediately afterwords , who wanted me to wait for their technician to come install their router (one that I learned from a previous post that they tend to block you out of and don't give you the username and password for) , it took a bit of explaining but after 15 minutes they activated my router and the internet is working like a dream!

They are going to send a technician next week friday to install their router, I might just decline and keep mine as its working great.

They were adamant to send their technician to install the router at my place too. I let him come and nicely explained to him and showed him everything still works. Their router is now lying somewhere in a cupboard.

Just be prepared if something goes wrong, even totally out of your control, they will be sticky due to not being able to access their router and do proper diagnostics. Luckily this has only happened once to me, due to an issue on the Vumatel network.

pouroverguy

Expert Member
They were adamant to send their technician to install the router at my place too. I let him come and nicely explained to him and showed him everything still works. Their router is now lying somewhere in a cupboard.

Just be prepared if something goes wrong, even totally out of your control, they will be sticky due to not being able to access their router and do proper diagnostics. Luckily this has only happened once to me, due to an issue on the Vumatel network.

It's really irritating that the router is not my property - have to return it to Vox if I cancel the service. This means I can't even sell it to recuperate some of the cost for getting a router with better WiFi signal then the cheap one they provide.

Azimuth

Expert Member
I’m not in any particular rush as I’m planning ahead of my relocation from JHB to CPT. Here’s a record of my little journey...

My actual installation is booked for 2 May...

Last week my installation went like clockwork. Vumatel subcontractors (Nano) arrived right on time (8am) and were done by 09:25. The two employees from Nano were extremely professional and did a tidy installation. All-in-all they had to trench 12m from the street to my house. The actual fibre run was 20m.

I was “lucky” enough to get a new model ONT - not the old Raycore. Everything was drilled into the wall and glued so I didn’t get to note the manufacturer details.

A quick phone call to Nano HQ and my fibre point was active. The tricky part was that I had unknowingly switched from a PPPoE setup to a DHCP one. I had to fumble my way through a bunch of config changes on my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP. Eventually, everything lined up and I had sweet fibre internet again.

Even though I had working internet, and I indicated I would be using my own router, Vox insisted they had to complete the setup (which meant handing over their router). I relented and set up an appointment for today at 10am (2 days after the Vuma/Nano install).

A pleasant Vox tech arrived, armed with a very respectable MikroTik hEX router, a cAP AC access point and a couple LAN cables. He photographed my setup, handed over the MiktoTik stuff and was on his merry way again.

A couple hours after he left, I got a follow-up call from Nano to see if I was happy with my fibre install (which I was...really 10/10). I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience.

So far my 20/20 package @ R836pm is buttery smooth and my web page loads are quicker than Vumatel in Johannesburg on a 100/100 package.

TL;DR

Vox Telecom / Vumatel are brilliant in Cape Town and I’m a happy camper.

00c93c827288078b4b6c001d7ee04fab.jpg

8ba0150eabf2d3ad2f24f6f9c2c0df79.jpg

749cb681b952ec8d3575f5d76e4093be.jpg

a884e607e1cf18bb49d02256b5376f3f.jpg

Last edited:

phoenix55

Once you've signed up for Vox FTTH on Vumatel network, how long does it take about for Vumatel to come and install the line from the boundary to the house?