VPS - Ubuntu or CentOS

DextrousDave

Hi All

I want to rent a VPS from Web Africa - The R99 p/m package.

Now it comes with the following:

• 1GB RAM
  • 1vCPU
  • 10GB Traffic
  • 10GB Disk Space
  • Ubuntu or CentOS

Now What I require:

• Web Server (LAMP)
  • DNS Server
  • Surfing the web with Chrome
  • All should be run concurrently

Now I will only host one small website on it.

My QUESTION: What OS is the best to use in my scenario? CentOS or Ubuntu? I heard Ubuntu is more resource intensive but is has more support online(forums etc).

What OS between the two is most popular and which is best to spend your time learning?

Tinuva

The Magician
Both should be fine for LAMP + DNS.

But if you REALLY want to browse using Chrome from the VPS...well I guess Ubuntu will be an easier option for that, though I really don't know if you want to install a whole X stack on a VPS with only 10GB disk space, it will fit, but use quite a chunk of that space.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I have a full Gnome install of Centos set up on my vps.co.za vps, they have plenty more OS options available though the entry level option only has 512MB memory but it does have 5 times more bandwidth than the WA one.

EDIT: Take a look here: http://vps.co.za/local-vps-servers there is a list of OS options there.

DextrousDave

Thank you Tinuva -What do you mean by an XStack? Also, i want to be able to download software from the VPN (like LAMP) for example. How else will I do that without a browser or does it work like in Ubuntu where you use the apt get command to download and install stuff...?

Burzum

Personal preference, CentOS ;)

There's nothing more stable than RedHat.