Vumatel Fibre + ISP for IPv6

Good Day All

Vumatel is currently installing in my area and I'm gearing up to select a provider.

One thing which would influence my choice would be a provider which fully supports IPv6 - ie an IPv6 address at my router.

Are there any providers doing this at the moment?

savage

Expert Member
As Vuma does not do a Layer 2 hand off to the ISPs (as far as I know), i.e. no PPPoE for example, IP addressing is assigned by Vuma, not the ISP.

To answer your question, doubt any ISP will be able to do so on Vumatel currently, without the use of some sort of tunnel.

Twix

As Vuma does not do a Layer 2 hand off to the ISPs (as far as I know), i.e. no PPPoE for example, IP addressing is assigned by Vuma, not the ISP.
Vuma only provides Layer 2 to the ISP and are only handling VLANs on their metro network. IP Addresses are assigned by the respective ISP's is as per the IP subnets they have.

I am not aware if any ISP currently offering IPv6

savage

Expert Member
Vuma only provides Layer 2 to the ISP and are only handling VLANs on their metro network. IP Addresses are assigned by the respective ISP's is as per the IP subnets they have.

Oh ok - so Vuma's L2 too. I thought they where L3.

We do allocate /48 prefixes to customers, but we're not yet active on any of the bigger fiber networks.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

They don't they do layer3 on the trenched network layer2 on aerial.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Layer 3 is the ip layer. The cpe on trenched is just a switch...? No ip there.
You allocate IP ranges on the Vumatel portal, and the DHCP on the Vumatel network hands out IPs via the CPEs. Then they route back to the ISP. Layer 3 :)

savage

Expert Member
This is mostly a limitation by network operators and not ISPs - but yes, some enterprise networks do
+1

As far as possible, we do roll out IPv6. Some have it and don't use it, for those that do use it, we see about a 40% shift from IPv4 to IPv6 in terms of traffic.

Twix

They don't they do layer3 on the trenched network layer2 on aerial.
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Thanks for clarifying that.

That must be hell to support :confused: (and I guess that is why they charge R999 when you change the ISP as they have to reconfigure routing, dhcp scope, ip adressing, etc)...

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
The sad part is it can more than likely be automated, completely.
Yeap completely automated, it's just a vlan switch to the other ISP, DHCP then hands out the ISPs IP. Easy but we're charged R999 whenever this happens.

Twix

Yeap completely automated, it's just a vlan switch to the other ISP, DHCP then hands out the ISPs IP. Easy but we're charged R999 whenever this happens.
I guess everyone likes money for nothing :)

Also, as I heard, their core network support team is not in South Africa but Holland or somewhere in Europe, correct?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I guess everyone likes money for nothing :)

Also, as I heard, their core network support team is not in South Africa but Holland or somewhere in Europe, correct?
Sweden, but they have hired a CTO recently that is now more hands on.