VW Polo Vivo (2018)

Sumen

Expert Member
Wheels24 reader Arno Muller has spotted the new Polo Vivo at the Barons VW Bruma, ahead of its local launch later in February.

Earlier this week Volkswagen has launched its new sixth-generation Polo in Port Elizabeth where the new Polo Vivo was also unveiled.

Wheels24 will be attending the launch of the next Polo Vivo during mid-February.

Muller says: "I was visiting a local VW dealer when this caught my eye in a corner of their storage yard, three new Polo Vivos. The vehicles were apparently part of a consignment for Avis.

"They are based on the outgoing Polo Trendline. Engine options remain the same (1.4 and 1.6-litre). However, there are rumours that the GTS will use the same 85kW 1.0-litre TSI as found in the current Polo R-Line."

Muller also says of the new Polo Vivo: "I think it is a worthy successor to the current Vivo, and I happen to drive one.

"This will without a doubt replace my current vehicle once it becomes available. I had a look on the inside too. On the base models, specification levels seem identical to the current Polo Trendline. The mid-ranger adds a multi-function steering wheel, colour-coded door handles and mirrors, and fog lights.

"Unfortunately, the other models weren’t available, but the salesman has advised me that the GTS will feature the 85kW 1.0-litre TSI engine as featured in the current Polo R-line.

"It will also feature leather seats and a touch screen infotainment not too dissimilar to the composition media system found in the outgoing model as standard. There are also 16" alloy wheels as seen on the current Highline model.

"I’m sure options like cruise control and a sunroof will also be made available.

"The key point will be the price. I can not see the GTS going for less than at least R250 000.

Source:
http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/spotted-new-volkswagen-polo-vivo-parked-in-joburg-20180125?

Last edited:

bheinche

Expert Member
I thought this was not going to happen despite everyone thinking VWSA will try to keep milking the current Vivo till it's as dry as Cape Town's dams

bheinche

Expert Member
Maybe I mistaken but that to me it look like VW Polo ,or they took the current polo and renamed it Polo vivo.
That's the point of the Vivo, the previous one was also based on the previous generation model year with certain equipment stripped and not offered and cheaper materials used to make it. VWSA love selling us recycled cars.

Cr419

Executive Member
If the sound deadening on this car is as good as the current Polo (not as ****ty as the current vivo), then this would be a good buy. The new Polo is bloody expensive.

Cr419

Executive Member
So it a old polo with even older engines :p

This will sell like hotcakes, people love there polo's!
The cars in that price range are mostly just different grades of ****, but just mostly ****. Whereas the current vivo was probably the biggest POS, this might actually be a very nice car if it comes in at current vivo prices but with current polo refinement. Might be a good replacement for our little up.

The cars in that price range are mostly just different grades of ****, but just mostly ****. Whereas the current vivo was probably the biggest POS, this might actually be a very nice car if it comes in at current vivo prices but with current polo refinement. Might be a good replacement for our little up.
Indeed it also depends what they strip out of it. The current one they stripped out quite a few things.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I see in the image that is has disk brakes all around but they've stripped out the indicators in the mirrors and placed them on the fender.

Cr419

Executive Member
Indeed it also depends what they strip out of it. The current one they stripped out quite a few things.
If it can come with at least all the features the up has, plus the refinement, then it will really sell like hot cakes.

Cr419

Executive Member
I see in the image that is has disk brakes all around but they've stripped out the indicators in the mirrors and placed them on the fender.
In the big photo in this thread, that definitely does not have disc brakes. Look again.

bheinche

Expert Member
I can bet everything I have and confidently say they will strip a whole lot of things out of it.

1) The refinement of this one won't be the same as the current gen Polo since they will put el cheapo sound deadening in it or remove most of it.

2) Infotainment system wise it will be the same unit as the one in the pre-facelift (pre-TSI) models with only the GTS getting the Composition Media system

3) As someone already indicated the door mirror indicators have been stripped and moved to the fender.

4) It'll wear old alloys from the current gen Vivo and not current gen TSI.

5) I highly doubt the panoramic sunroof will be offered as an option on the lesser models except for the GTS.

6) Oh and also expect a slushbox (5 or 4 speed jobbie) and not a DSG gearbox

PhireSide

Executive Member
VW must have a major surplus of those indicators. They are found on some versions of Golf, Jetta, Kombi, Audi A3, A4 and older A6's, Vivo, Caddy, Transporter, the Up! and a whole lot more

Drifter

Honorary Master
VW must have a major surplus of those indicators. They are found on some versions of Golf, Jetta, Kombi, Audi A3, A4 and older A6's, Vivo, Caddy, Transporter, the Up! and a whole lot more
They copying Ford, those indicators have been on the Fiesta MK6 Since 2004.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Shot for this thread. It's been a very very busy day today. No time to make threads & stick & paste as some of you folks say.

Will be interesting to see just how much cost cutting occured in the transformation to become a Vivo.