[W] Nintendo Gameboy

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Item wanted (be very descriptive): Nintendo Gameboy. Any version considered except GBA (original, color, SP)
Is packaging essential?: No
Desired age and condition: Very good. Minimal scratches to body. No scratches on screen.
Willing to accept a shipped item: Yes

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Item wanted (be very descriptive): Nintendo Gameboy. Any version considered except GBA (original, color, SP)
Is packaging essential?: No
Desired age and condition: Very good. Minimal scratches to body. No scratches on screen.
Willing to accept a shipped item: Yes

What does the SP have that you won't accept a 'normal' GBA?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
You sure about that? I know the later US had a backlight instead of a front light, but they all had some kind of light as far as I know.

Yeah, I think that is true. All of the SPs had some kind of light. The more advanced ones have a backlight.

I will say that I have an older style GBA (ie one before the SP) with a backlight. In fact, I have two of them.

I bought old GBAs and then modded them. Its fairly easy to do - anyone with basic soldering capabilities can do it. In fact, the soldering is only needed to enable you to adjust the brightness of the screen. Problem is, it makes these things expensive. The screens are not that cheap - in fact, more expensive than a GBA itself. I paid £30 for each of mine, so around R700 per screen.

You also need to either cut an original GBA case, or buy a pre-cut case that will fit the new larger screen.

It looks gorgeous. I cannot imagine playing GBA games on a console without a backlight. The screens are backlit IPS screens, so they look amazing. Best way to play GBA games.

I think all in all, including replacement parts (new case, new screen, upgrades for the audio, old GBA to refurbish) it cost around £100 per GBA.

The problem you will have is getting these parts into SA - I'd advise using an importer service if you want to go this route.

Matt91

Expert Member
Gumtree still has a few Nintendo DS and DS lites for sale probably not in great condition though.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Gumtree still has a few Nintendo DS and DS lites for sale probably not in great condition though.

Thanks. But I've got 3 DS Lites. One in excellent condition and the other two work but not in great shape. I've taken the battery from one for example after the good condition one stopped charging.

Matt91

Expert Member
I got my new 3DSXL on gumtree last year for 1250. with 3 games. And a special edition Zelda cover flap thingy. Some bargains if you're lucky.

Thanks. But I've got 3 DS Lites. One in excellent condition and the other two work but not in great shape. I've taken the battery from one for example after the good condition one stopped charging.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I got my new 3DSXL on gumtree last year for 1250. with 3 games. And a special edition Zelda cover flap thingy. Some bargains if you're lucky.

That's a good price. I've got an original 3DS XL which was running SNES9x until I accidentally updated the firmware. I need to look back into restoring it sometime.