W10 Update & it's annoyingness. Why?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Made threads about it. Researched it to death. Did everything.

Then I got mad and created my own update killer. Have never had a problem since.

Every 10 seconds it checks if windows 10 update is running. If so it kills the service and disables it. As you have no doubt already discovered Windows 10 update keeps resurrecting itself, this app just puts it straight back in the ground over and over. My bandwidth doesn't even flinch anymore.
I wonder what would happen if you made the update folder to read only?

c:\Windows\Software distribution\downloads.

sajunky

Honorary Master

Try, but you would have to take ownership first, then restrict writing for everyone, including NT_System. ?????

Solarion

Honorary Master

Try, but you would have to take ownership first, then restrict writing for everyone, including
NT_System
. ?????

All I know is, I even tried the Group Policy Editor route too, and Win10 update just laughed at me and ignored all my hard work. It seems that the update overrides any and all permissions you may have and has total authority over your machine.

If I were to venture a guess I would say it would ignore your "read only" changes.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Last edited:

RedViking

Honorary Master
All I know is, I even tried the Group Policy Editor route too, and Win10 update just laughed at me and ignored all my hard work. It seems that the update overrides any and all permissions you may have and has total authority over your machine.

If I were to venture a guess I would say it would ignore your "read only" changes.

Group Police seem to work for me. But you need to make sure everything is still fine after an update.

Solarion

Honorary Master
I eventually had to succumb. Why? Because nVidia Geforce 1050 cannot install it's drivers without build 1803 :p

sajunky

Honorary Master

When I wrote about it two years ago about version 1607, Microsoft moles called me in the news section "uneducated lier". Now with every new relesase it is only getting worse...

Solarion

Honorary Master
When I wrote about it two years ago about version 1607, Microsoft moles called me in the news section "uneducated lier". Now with every new relesase it is only getting worse...
The only question left is why they would go to such great lengths to cover it up with character assassinations and denial? Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Microsoft have done is tied wuserv into your internet connection. If you go into windows processes and manually kill the update process there, your internet service gets killed too. You literally have to reboot to fix it. It's clever and it's devious at the same time. They have gone to great lengths to enforce their updates.

The only way to safely terminate and disable windows 10 update is through the Control Panel, however as I said it simply revives itself several minutes later.