More ADSL price reductions? Especially from cellular providers maybe?
Not immediately... I think you'll see more comments like "better quality for same price" or "more capacity for same price" for the first few months.

Question to MyBB: When will the commercial launch happen, same date? (i.e. when network operators can start using WACS and re-selling it).

czc

Honorary Master
Not immediately... I think you'll see more comments like "better quality for same price" or "more capacity for same price" for the first few months.

Question to MyBB: When will the commercial launch happen, same date? (i.e. when network operators can start using WACS and re-selling it).
And a word like redundancy for SEACOM?

drukkie

Expert Member
I think prices wrt international bandwidth has reached it's cap...
Local bandwidth is now the problem...

jackshiels

Expert Member
This good but what about last mile capacity? International bandwidth only takes up a small fraction of the cost of ADSL. Now Huawei decides to go scupper the VDSL last mile plans by suing Telkom... It may be a while before we see any change. Does anyone have any info on the court ruling(s)?

Bern

Expert Member
A really good question is when will the CoCT fibre network have the switch node to WACS up and ready?

More ADSL price reductions? Especially from cellular providers maybe?
Cellular providers are so stingy, apparently SA CP's are the most expensive in Africa.

I hope this new cable means better ADSL broadband services, and maybe a reduction. (Better ADSL is fine by me).

I hope with this new capacity, I hope Telkom can now move up 384kbps to 1mbps with haste.

Praeses

Expert Member
Cellular providers are so stingy, apparently SA CP's are the most expensive in Africa.

I hope this new cable means better ADSL broadband services, and maybe a reduction. (Better ADSL is fine by me).

I hope with this new capacity, I hope Telkom can now move up 384kbps to 1mbps with haste.
International capacity and Telkom's ADSL network aren't really related. Cap/Uncapped packages will mostly be influenced. For telkom to upgrade 384kbps will involve telkom upgrading their local infrastructure e.g. fibre, dslams etc

Whoop, telkom bitstream and we are sorted.
Amen brother, but the thing is Telkom is going to be let off the hook steadily. We will be charged by the ISPs, but the ISPs will have to recoup a fair percentage of Telkom's losses - Ergo the prices will not be reduced super dramatically right from the word go - Maybe 10-20%. If it was not for the fact that Telkom has based it's budget on milking us dry then they would have completely unbundled the loop, but the gravy train cannot go from 100-0 overnight. It has waaay too much momentum in our beloved country.