Warranty Issues

sgb

Good day,
My problem happens to be with Lenovo laptops, but would cover many laptops and PCs.
I bought a Lenovo laptop a bit over a year ago. It came with a one year warranty, which is now over.
I recently had a second disk installed (SSD for speed) and immediately started having problems.
After a couple of months of testing - me removing all software (including W10) and re-installing, the Reseller testing the disk, memory, etc, they determined it was an error in the circuitry in the motherboard to the second slot.
The issue is now: my warranty has expired, but I had no way of knowing there was a fault until I installed the second disk.As such I could not get it fixed 'under warranty'. Do I have any recourse?
regards,
Sgb

Corelli

Expert Member
Only possibly

If you have all risk insurance on your laptop with your insurer

Ghost729

You can try asking Lenovo to fix it as a goodwill claim, but that one year warranty is to limit liability, even for latent defects. So there's a larger probability of Lenovo rejecting the goodwill claim.

Alternatively, if you can show that Lenovo was aware of a batch of laptops with that issue and they had to recall it, but failed to notify you, then you have a case.

Sorry buddy. I know it a sh*tty thing and I feel that manufacturers should fix latent defects in good faith, but unfortunately, the world we live in is not the forgiving.

sgb

Thanks - what I thought. Just means a different manufacturer next time......