We Need Gamers For Research At UCT!!

UCT

PARTICIPANTS WANTED FOR UCT RESEARCH

CARDIOMETABOLIC HEALTH AND NEUROCOGNITIVE PERFORMANCE IN COMPETITIVE COMPUTER GAMERS​

The aim of this study is to characterize and compare the physical health and mental performance of competitive adult computer gamers to non-gamers.

If you:
  • Are male or female between 18 and 30 years of age
  • Reside in Cape Town
  • Are a competitive computer gamer or are a non-gamer
  • Are available to come to our laboratory on two occasions (1 week apart)
  • have not been diagnosed with and are not on any medication known to influence sleep

You can volunteer for this study

What is involved?
  • Complete a few questionnaires about your health and gaming history
  • Have your height, weight, waist circumference and blood pressure measured
  • Donate 3 teaspoons of blood to assess your risk for heart disease or diabetes
  • Perform three computerized tests to assess your mental function
  • Wear a small sleep monitor on your wrist and keep a sleep diary for 7 days

What are the benefits?
  • Learn more about your own health and mental performance

If you are interested in taking part in the study and would like additional information, please contact:
Chadley Kemp
chadleyk@outlook.com (preferred) or KMPCHA004@myuct.ac.za
074 330 9617

*Please do not reply on this forum post, rather contact us directly using the contact details above - this is to ensure that we receive your request.

Attachments

• Gaming study App1 ICF v1 Approved.docx.pdf
    196.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

|Blunt

Have posted this on my WoW guilds discord group. Quite a few fit the bill. Hope you get some feedback. Good luck

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Hey Splinter - our UCT mailbox gets spammed with mail so I prefer to receive directly to my private email. If you prefer you can send it to my UCT mailbox at KMPCHA004@myuct.ac.za
You know that by posting it here, you have let all the bots in existence know your email address. Which will lead to lots more spam. Rather send a pm with your email address to a forumite than put it here

UCT

no jhb trials?
Sadly not :( We would love to have reached out to the JHB gamers but our funding does not allow this. Hopefully with future funding or collab with Wits university to get a broader gaming sample

UCT

Is 18 to 30 still considered as "adults"?
Yeah - in research this age range is considered "young adult" - the reason we haven't expanded the age range is that older age ranges confound our cardiometabolic data (basically, older adults will have more factors that influence their health - we want to know if excessive gaming behavior, lack of physical activity and poor sleep are responsible for health problems in young adult gamers).

Hopefully with better understanding we can create some guidelines or recommendations that will help steer gamers on the "healthier" track whilst also boosting their gaming performance :) First step is to see exactly what gamers sleep and health looks like.

Hope this gives some perspective :)

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Sadly not :( We would love to have reached out to the JHB gamers but our funding does not allow this. Hopefully with future funding or collab with Wits university to get a broader gaming sample

Funding? Are you paying the volunteers?
Gamers can telecommute.

UCT

I would be more concerned that they collect your blood in teaspoons

Haha we collect blood using a special "butterfly" needle. It's the thinnest most "non-invasive" needle we can use. It's thin so it doesn't hurt the participant. The 3 teaspoons of blood refers to the quantity of blood we are taking... so approximately 15 ml of blood will be taken :)

Also - regarding your previous comment about the spam bots; it's alright - i get enough spam anyway (thanks for the head's up though)

UCT

Funding? Are you paying the volunteers?
Gamers can telecommute.
Yes we are - it's unethical to mention that in the recruitment call though.

We will reimburse gamers for travel expenses and their time only - R150. It's not a ton of money, but it's something to make up for any inconvenience. We'd prefer to get gamers who want to contribute to research to accelerate the credibility of esports.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Yeah - in research this age range is considered "young adult" - the reason we haven't expanded the age range is that older age ranges confound our cardiometabolic data (basically, older adults will have more factors that influence their health - we want to know if excessive gaming behavior, lack of physical activity and poor sleep are responsible for health problems in young adult gamers).

Hopefully with better understanding we can create some guidelines or recommendations that will help steer gamers on the "healthier" track whilst also boosting their gaming performance :) First step is to see exactly what gamers sleep and health looks like.

Hope this gives some perspective :)

In that age range = millennial = hope they can put down their phones long enough to play game :laugh::ROFL:

UCT

In that age range = millennial = hope they can put down their phones long enough to play game :laugh::ROFL:
Whoops, sorry - I think I was misunderstood. Gamers must come to our research testing center to take part. We're based at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
What if everyone that shows up looks like this:

sharing_image-34639.jpg

and not this:

10612986_520274321408209_8118711134976991202_n.jpg

I'm only half joking, would that actually skew your data, I'm assuming your hypothesis is that gamers are going to be more unhealthy than say someone that plays rugby for UCT?

UCT

What if everyone that shows up looks like this ...

Hahaha! Yes our hypothesis is that gamers would be less healthier than the controls (non-gamers) - of course it's only a hypothesis, which is why we need to do the testing to confirm or reject it :)

GoB

Expert Member
If you take the fittest pro gamers and whichever non-gamers: gaming == fitness. :)

If the volunteers are taken randomly, the outcome will probably be that gamers will be more unfit but smarter.
Reason is the relationship between cognition and physical activity.
So it's a result of IQ, not a reason for it.