WebAfrica Capped ADSL

Hi Guys

I am planning on going for one of these Capped account, had a call from Telkom today saying that our exchange has been recently upgraded and they can finally offer 10MB in our area. How do you guys find these Capped accounts? 10MB uncapped accounts does not make sense for the amount I download / stream which is about 70GB - 110GB a month not much more than that.

I am currently on another ISP that also uses the IS backbone and don't have any major issues with IS, so in theory should be smooth sailing here as well.

Also if you sign up in the middle to later part of the month are there any pro rata billing or should I rather sign up for this closer to actual month end.

Been on capped for with them for a bit now (years) and I can really say that it's never been better. I rarely get below max speed (depending on source) on a 10Mbit line. On the 90+360 account. Excellent value for money me thinks.
 
Been on capped for with them for a bit now (years) and I can really say that it's never been better. I rarely get below max speed (depending on source) on a 10Mbit line. On the 90+360 account. Excellent value for money me thinks.

HI I am also looking at the 90+360 package. How are their top-up prices like per gig? The most I did in the last 5months on my old ISP was 103GB but in general it's lower than 90GB.

Regards
 
HI I am also looking at the 90+360 package. How are their top-up prices like per gig? The most I did in the last 5months on my old ISP was 103GB but in general it's lower than 90GB.

Regards

Top-up price is very ridiculous, that is why you have to pick the right package.
 
Agreed. The R19/GB is steep. If you do around 100GB's a month only and you can schedule downloads between 12am-6am, the 90+360 might be overkill. The 40+160 comes to mind.
 
Hi Guys

I am planning on going for one of these Capped account, had a call from Telkom today saying that our exchange has been recently upgraded and they can finally offer 10MB in our area. How do you guys find these Capped accounts? 10MB uncapped accounts does not make sense for the amount I download / stream which is about 70GB - 110GB a month not much more than that.

I am currently on another ISP that also uses the IS backbone and don't have any major issues with IS, so in theory should be smooth sailing here as well.

Also if you sign up in the middle to later part of the month are there any pro rata billing or should I rather sign up for this closer to actual month end.

Our capped accounts are excellent as most people agree :D To test the performance sign up for our free 2gb account and give us a whirl.

We do not do pro-rata on capped accounts so I would recommend that you either choose to start at the start of the new month or take a smaller package and just upgrade on the 1st.
 
Unless WA have some other problem, like a lack of capacity in the Cape, it's most definitely a WA issue. I've tested VOX and Axxess so far, and both max out my line at any hour. NNTP is actually less demanding of a protocol than Bittorrent, so your difference in experience is bizarre to say the least. When I asked why my performance was so low on a capped account, I was fed the usual line about P2P being deprioritised during the day. Back then, deprioritised saw me getting a max of 120k/sec on a 20mbps line, which is pretty much useless. I think I had cause for being pissed off, given I was now locked into another month whether I liked it or not and my issues were dismissed because it was a best effort protocol.

I don't think warning people about potential issues qualifies as a chip on my shoulder. I'd appreciate the heads up if the tables were turned.

What ISP did you end up going with, I'm pretty much in the same boat, deciding now between Axxess or Vox...
Does Vox's data roll-over permanently, as in for life :)?
 
I'll just signup for the 1st of the new month and cancel my old uncapped account with my current ISP. I am looking to upgrade to 10MB line and 10MB uncapped does not make sense. I am better off with a big capped account and a 10MB line.


Our capped accounts are excellent as most people agree :D To test the performance sign up for our free 2gb account and give us a whirl.

We do not do pro-rata on capped accounts so I would recommend that you either choose to start at the start of the new month or take a smaller package and just upgrade on the 1st.
 
Hi

I am experiencing very slow speeds today. I have a 4MB line and fastest I am getting currently is 46Kb-65Kb a second. This is from multiple sources. Based in Queenswood Pretoria. Ookla speedtest local is 3.21 mbps and international is 0.72 mbps

 
Last edited:
Hi

I am experiencing very slow speeds today. I have a 4MB line and fastest I am getting currently is 46Kb-65Kb a second. This is from multiple sources. Based in Queenswood Pretoria. Ookla speedtest local is 3.21 mbps and international is 0.72 mbps


Hi Albertdup,

Can you PM your account details and I will take a look at this issue for you.
 
Hi WebAfrica Helper

Received a call from your support and all is working as it should running at full speed.

Thanks
 
@WebAfrica Helper, any news on the guys reviewing your capped offerings?
 
Streaming Netflix, BBC, SkyNews all struggling tonight.

MWeb on standard uncapped is fine. Your capped pro package so far is under the performance of Mweb uncapped standard.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X