Weed growers thread

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Without actual compost in the mix, you may need to feed nutrients with each water, dilution can be low to start as they recommend and upscaling as the plant gets bigger. Bigger the plant, more nutrients it needs. You can pick up on nutrient deficiencies quite early on. Takes some time to get to know the signs and what the plant wants. remember you only need to water when it needs it. Be careful not to give too much water. you can over water easily and the plants will suffer greatly from it. Less is more in this case.

Hydroponic.co.za is great, shop is just up the road from me and they can help you with some organic amendments. Definitely get a big bag of worm casting and throw that in as well.

www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za - Jamie sells soil amending nutrient packs for +-R100 per pack. Each pack makes about 100lts of soil. You need compost, some perlite, and a brick of coco to then put it all together yourself. Best thing you can actually do for your plants. He lives in somerset west and is also open to giving you some assistance. Can talk organics and growing all day.

Regarding the pots, you can go from a fairly small pot, to a medium one and finishing off in a 10/20lt pot depending on your space available. I stick to 20/30lt fabric pots. Fabric allows the soil to breath and stop water from pooling at the bottom which the roots may not appreciate. You definitely go through more water, but the plants just love those fabric pots. Prevents balling of the roots and promotes feeder roots more.

Brilliant advice, I live in Somerset West so good to know I can visit a pro
Thank you, have an awesome day

Batista

Executive Member
https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/biobizz-bio-grow/
Not badly priced I guess seeing as it does get diluted heavily, work in Paarden Eiland so not far to go fetch.
Had no idea potting soil wasn't decent.

Will I be using this once a week or is this the replacement of daily watering?

Final Question: As I am growing upstairs in my flat on a window sill for now, will move to my small balcony outside when they can handle the wind, what depth pot should I get for this to grow into full adult size?

Hey Bud

Regarding your wind question.

I started seeds indoors on the windowsil.Waited for about 2 weeks.Then I pointed a small fan onto the plants for 4-5 hours a day for 3 days.The plants responded by growing thicker leaves and a stronger stem.I put them on the balcony this morning in a big wooded box for extra protection.Lets hope they survived!This is a big con of staying in a very windy area,which is why I prefer growing indoors.I like to spend time with the plants at odd hours like 1am ,2am, and this is not possible going outside in the wind and waking everyone in the house up lol.

Pineapple Smurf

Hey Bud

I started seeds indoors on the windowsil.Waited for about 2 weeks.Then I pointed a small fan onto the plants for 4-5 hours a day for 3 days.The plants responded by growing thicker leaves and a stronger stem.I put them on the balcony this morning in a big wooded box for extra protection.Lets hope they survived!This is a big con of staying in a very windy area,which is why I prefer growing indoors.I like to spend time with the plants at odd hours like 1am ,2am, and this is not possible going outside in the wind and waking everyone in the house up lol.

Awesome Idea using the fan. When I do move them onto my balcony it will be facing West so luckily no South Easter to hurt them, only downside is they will only have afternoon sun

Surv0

Executive Member
Hey Bud

Wind wrecks baby plants, especially when its hot... keep them in the shade on those days. The wind helps a ton to strengthen the plant though and definitely required. I keep a desk fan blowing in my grow room to achieve similar results.

mister

Executive Member
I like to spend time with the plants at odd hours like 1am ,2am, and this is not possible going outside in the wind and waking everyone in the house up lol.

I'd like to know what you are doing with the plants at odd hours :)

Pineapple Smurf

Those plants are light starved either get them outside in indirect light, or get a light closer
Yes they are light starved, on the window sill that gets morning sun only, I'm hoping to get them up to a good length before moving them to my balcony that will only get afternoon sun. Joys of been in a flat upstairs

Surv0

Executive Member
My 1 leaf has something brown growing on it since child birth (2 weeks old)
What is it ?
1 testicle ?
@Surv0
View attachment 565891 View attachment 565893 View attachment 565895

hahaha awesome dude.. Ive never seen half a seed casing stay on for that long... just pull it off. Sometimes the plants find it tricky to shed them.

As semaphore mentioned, they need some light now and maybe some more soil on top. Dont let those stems stretch uncontrollably as they can literally topple over.

That said, avoid growing more than one plant per pot, their roots compete and either they will all be stunted, or one will take over and the rest will suffer.

Pineapple Smurf

hahaha awesome dude.. Ive never seen half a seed casing stay on for that long... just pull it off. Sometimes the plants find it tricky to shed them.

As semaphore mentioned, they need some light now and maybe some more soil on top. Dont let those stems stretch uncontrollably as they can literally topple over.

That said, avoid growing more than one plant per pot, their roots compete and either they will all be stunted, or one will take over and the rest will suffer.
Awesome, I will re-pot them after work today and get them onto my window sill that faces north. :)

Surv0

Executive Member
Awesome, I will re-pot them after work today and get them onto my window sill that faces north. :)

They can still be transplanted safely, the tap root and feeders should be quite small so you can extricate them very carefully without too much issue. Ideally, you want to avoid this, but possible never the less.

My daughter has pulled many a seedling out of the soil and just left it on the ground, roots intact and all. Ive managed to save a few after that has occured, but not always.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
OK, I got redirected here.

I'm new to all this. On Sunday I was walking across an empty plot in our street where builders recently dumped earth they dug up from another plot being developed. Long story short I noticed a dagga plant growing in this very hard clay based ground. I got a shovel and dug it up, planted it in a pot filled with potting soil.

Initially the plant experienced shock and did not look good but Monday morning it was looking good. However it was left outside and by the end of the day looked bad again. My wife moved it to the bedroom and it is looking much happier now.

Where do I go from here?