What am I doing WRONG!? Wifi Router AP

Abyssix

Hi Everyone!!

I just want to know if I'm missing something or doing something wrong? I'm banging my head against the table because I can't seem to get this setup to work.

I've got two Huawei wifi routers, the two models are B315s-22 and B315s-936. I'm trying to setup the B315s-22 as a wifi access point.

Here is the steps that I've followed, but can't get anything to work.

1) Setup the B315s-936 as the router providing the internet with LTE.
1.1) Changed the default IP address from 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.0.1 (DHCP Pool - 100-200)
1.2) Created the SSID and the password for the wifi network.

Internet router complete and everything working perfectly,

2) Setup the B315s-22 as the access point
2.1) Changed the default IP address from 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.0.2 as the two routers can't have the same IP address.
2.2) Disabled DHCP server.
2.3) Plugged in the ethernet cable into port 1(Not WAN) on B315s-936 to port 1 on B315s-22 (Not WAN)

Nothing seems to work, to my understanding the B315s-22 should be acting as a wifi access point?

I am able to ping both routers and the Google servers when I'm connected to the main router B315s-936, but I'm not able to ping the B315-s936 router or Google servers unless I change my IP from DHCP to static IP: 192.168.0.150 / Sub: 255.255.255.0 / D-Gateway: 192.168.0.1 .

I have tested the different connection settings which is provided with the router, I've tried Auto, Dynamic IP and just the usual LAN setting (as if the router is converted to a switch) but nothing works...

Does anyone know about a setting or if I'm missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Hi Everyone!!

I just want to know if I'm missing something or doing something wrong? I'm banging my head against the table because I can't seem to get this setup to work.

I've got two Huawei wifi routers, the two models are B315s-22 and B315s-936. I'm trying to setup the B315s-22 as a wifi access point.

Here is the steps that I've followed, but can't get anything to work.

1) Setup the B315s-936 as the router providing the internet with LTE.
1.1) Changed the default IP address from 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.0.1 (DHCP Pool - 100-200)
1.2) Created the SSID and the password for the wifi network.

Internet router complete and everything working perfectly,

2) Setup the B315s-22 as the access point
2.1) Changed the default IP address from 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.0.2 as the two routers can't have the same IP address.
2.2) Disabled DHCP server.
2.3) Plugged in the ethernet cable into port 1(Not WAN) on B315s-936 to port 1 on B315s-22 (Not WAN)

Nothing seems to work, to my understanding the B315s-22 should be acting as a wifi access point?

I am able to ping both routers and the Google servers when I'm connected to the main router B315s-936, but I'm not able to ping the B315-s936 router or Google servers unless I change my IP from DHCP to static IP: 192.168.0.150 / Sub: 255.255.255.0 / D-Gateway: 192.168.0.1 .

I have tested the different connection settings which is provided with the router, I've tried Auto, Dynamic IP and just the usual LAN setting (as if the router is converted to a switch) but nothing works...

Does anyone know about a setting or if I'm missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i've had the same issue and I never got a fix

The 315 becomes wonky when it's not doing its own dhcp

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Firstly why the desire to change the IP address on the first router? Just use the default range.

Secondly is there any option anywhere to configure a gateway or DHCP relay? Likely that is your problem.

You need to point it to the first router as the DHCP server.

Abyssix

Hi SauRoNZA,

The IP address doesn't really matter to be honest in this case, but yes as I have seen in previous routers that I have worked with their is some routers that provide DHCP relay options and option to point it to the DHCP server. But even though if you change the connection mode to LAN it should act as a mini switch which doesn't have its own DHCP and uses the DHCP server from the main router.

But as PsyWulf says, they become wonky if they can't produce their own DHCP.. Was a real fan of huawei routers, but you can't always be perfect I guess..

Abyssix

Hi
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i've had the same issue and I never got a fix

The 315 becomes wonky when it's not doing its own dhcp

That's sucks, at least I'm not the only one that tried this method and failed. Thanks for your feedback.

bobcpt

I think you are over complicating the setup by running two ip address ranges. This may require you to change the default gateway settings for devices connected to the second router. Don't take this the wrong way, but 'wonky' sounds more like user error.

I would set it up as follows:
On the primary router
- Determine the ip address (e.g. 192.168.8.1)
- Determine the dhcp pool (192.168.8.100-200)
- Ensure dhcp is enabled

On the second router:
- Change the ip address to a fixed address (e.g. 192.168.8.2 or 192.168.8.250) which falls within the same address range as the primary router, but outside of the dhcp pool range. This will avoid ip address conflicts.
- Disable dhcp. The primary router will perform this duty.
- Change the wifi ssid, password and authentication method to match that of the primary router, but use a different wifi channel number.
- Connect the routers by running a network cable between them. Do not connect anything to the wan ports on either routers. If I recall, the wan port may be shared with either lan1 or lan4.

If a device is plugged into the wan port, the lte functionality goes wonky... I mean it gets disabled.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
I think you are over complicating the setup by running two ip address ranges. This may require you to change the default gateway settings for devices connected to the second router. Don't take this the wrong way, but 'wonky' sounds more like user error.

I would set it up as follows:
On the primary router
- Determine the ip address (e.g. 192.168.8.1)
- Determine the dhcp pool (192.168.8.100-200)
- Ensure dhcp is enabled

On the second router:
- Change the ip address to a fixed address (e.g. 192.168.8.2 or 192.168.8.250) which falls within the same address range as the primary router, but outside of the dhcp pool range. This will avoid ip address conflicts.
- Disable dhcp. The primary router will perform this duty.
- Change the wifi ssid, password and authentication method to match that of the primary router, but use a different wifi channel number.
- Connect the routers by running a network cable between them. Do not connect anything to the wan ports on either routers. If I recall, the wan port may be shared with either lan1 or lan4.

If a device is plugged into the wan port, the lte functionality goes wonky... I mean it gets disabled.

the most important part. the primary router will be Channel 1 by default, so on the second router use 6 or 11

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Don't take this the wrong way, but 'wonky' sounds more like user error.
I suspect this is more a bug in how they implemented their port bridging,but without being able to dig into it directly couldn't say
Got a fresh opportunity at a client site to disable the DHCP on one of these and mysteriously Wireless traffic couldn't cross to other ports,nor thusly DHCP assignments from the primary gateway (cue eye rolls). The Mikrotik hAP next to it purchased just for this eventuality works as intended