What is in a name?

Renaming cities and removing offensive statues...

• is vital to healing process

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • has some importance but there are more pressing matters right now

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • leave things as they are

Votes: 64 54.7%

• Total voters

abzo

Honorary Master
2.2 million people might be required to implement the renaming.

bwana

MyBroadband
Go ahead and rename all the English names now to Xhosa, Zulu etc.
The quicker the better

I would rather look at a shithole town and see it as an African name than the past colonial thriving town it once was
Fancy a ileyibheli emnyama?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Some names I can understand, however, when you consider the situation the country is in and how bleak the future looks, there are waaaay more important things to worry about.

Yesterday there was a thread on the stripping of railways in Johannesburg and how this actually affects the lives of people. But we'll change the name of William Nicol because that's going to change lives.

LOTR

I think all this renaming and moving stuff is an excellent idea to spend our surplus funds on. Oh........ Wait!!!!!!!

newby_investor

Expert Member
Some names I can understand, however, when you consider the situation the country is in and how bleak the future looks, there are waaaay more important things to worry about.

Yesterday there was a thread on the stripping of railways in Johannesburg and how this actually affects the lives of people. But we'll change the name of William Nicol because that's going to change lives.
Pretty much this.

I mean I can kind of understand all the low-hanging fruit, but basically everything that bore Hendrik Verwoerd's name has already been renamed.

Let's try and return to some measure of prosperity before you award tenders to your friend's sign-making company.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Given the escalating unemployment rate, with an additional 2.2 million South Africans [who] lost their jobs under lockdown do you think now is the right time for Cyril Ramaphosa to concentrate on "[renaming] cities, and [removing] offensive statues"?

View attachment 924213
Oh this, on the fear of another well-informed private warning:

I can't but help to laugh my head off when I realize there was an adult asking another adult to remove a word. Because, if this word was not removed then there was a personal attack, an assault, harm was caused and I suppose one can even say that it causes severe trauma.

If that adult wasn't so juvenile and realize that there are more options; I mean god forbid they realise that they are empowering the words, that they are feeding into the satisfaction and hyperbole drama, which without there would be nothing. It is the same with the k-k-k-k-k-word. Trevor (link to follow), god what an adult and genius, puts its in its place and this is true for all such things.

1) Ignore it
2) Apply smarts, and wit it.

Was that so hard not to give it face time?
Not to ask another person to cover the word?

How do you think real life works? Is there another person walking alongside you who covers your ears or eyes when something follows to entice the underdeveloped juvenile?

see ±36:00

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Removing statues and historical symbols in a country does nothing to heal any rifts. It just fans the flames of the rift fire.
Instal and build new statues and let the process unfold by itself --- it will.

Continually changing the names of things does absolutely NOTHING for anyone. Rather introduce a process of trying to make the names historically neutral over a period of time.

The urgent task is to stimulate recovery and expansion not to keep on digging up old hatreds and divisions.

Debzo23