What is the best small automatic?

Synonym

Hi,

I am looking for a reliable small auto that has isofix.

So far the list is:

1. Kia Picanto. I would go for the street>style>smart. Why doesn't the smart have remote central locking or a rear wiper? very strange. I would go for the 1.0 to lower costs.

2. Hyundai i10 grand. I looked at earlier models but only a new 2021 has isofix.

3. Suzuki Ignis. I liked it but how safe is the keyless entry and push start? The lack of a park mode is strange.

4. Renault Clio 1.2

What would you recommend?

Honda Jazz and Suzuki swift is a bit to big, Mazda 2 is above my budget but may consider depending on the best options.

Thanks

Sayf777

Expert Member
Go for the one that has a higher safety rating or are all the same? (According to Euro NCAP)

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
From your choices I would go with the Clio.

I wouldn't feel comfortable buckling my kid into a seat in a Picanto or i10.

Apart from the obvious safety issue, baby seats are big. The front seat would have to move mostly forward. And then when you factor in the pram, it may not even fit properly in those boots...

Van87

Am I wrong by saying you are contradicting yourself...

Suggesting the Clio, and then saying the Honda and the swift are too big...

By my calculations the swift is actually smaller then the Clio.

Besides that, I'd go with the higher safety rating in any, and make sure you have ample space for the kids accessories.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Am I wrong by saying you are contradicting yourself...

Suggesting the Clio, and then saying the Honda and the swift are too big...

By my calculations the swift is actually smaller then the Clio.

Besides that, I'd go with the higher safety rating in any, and make sure you have ample space for the kids accessories.
South African car are a fascinating bunch.

Synonym

Thanks for the replies. The swift is fatter lol and awkward to park. The clio is the only one I haven't test driven. If I go for a clio then it will be an older model and will give less peace of mind compared with going for a kia with a longer warranty.

I wouldn't need a big boot as my child is too big for a pram now. It comes down to newer model kia/i10 or a older clio. I'm not sure if I should look at other makes?

Van87

Thanks for the replies. The swift is fatter lol and awkward to park. The clio is the only one I haven't test driven. If I go for a clio then it will be an older model and will give less peace of mind compared with going for a kia with a longer warranty.

I wouldn't need a big boot as my child is too big for a pram now. It comes down to newer model kia/i10 or a older clio. I'm not sure if I should look at other makes?
Put down your max budget, and then let's talk...

By the sounds, you are a little conflicted...

My family has owned a Kia Sportage 2011 for years, no real issue, but I will never buy another Kia. Dealing with multifranchises (not standalone) dealerships is annoying.

Hence I recently bought a Toyota starlet, if your budget allows, it is bigger I understand, but it's a great car for the money.

But again, you want something small, but Clio is ok. That's where I'm confused

TheChamp

Honorary Master

The Picanto that has been SUVed looks decent, I saw one the other day, not a fan of Picanto sized cars but if you are into that I don't see why.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

If you're considering an older model Clio, then you may as well consider an older model Fiesta, Polo, Mazda 2 etc as well.

Parking is a silly excuse to buy a smaller and less safe car. Especially when it concerns your family. You will learn to park the car, you can't learn to come back from the dead...

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

I see women drive big SUV's all the time, did you buy your license?

If you can't park a car like a Jazz or Swift, then all i can suggest you take more driving lessons.

nazmo

Expert Member
Clio auto as far as I know had a dual clutch. Don't think it's torque converter. Just something to consider. I have a dual clutch Clio. It's not as good as a torque converter for a daily. But it is an Ncap 5 star car with a decent boot

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

Lolwut?!
The swift is tiny, my wife has one and there is nowhere it cant park.
They are super light on fuel, great for around town and has not given a single day's hassle in the 4 years she has owned it.
I wouldnt drive long distance or on a highway with it, they are twitchy and nervous at 100kph+

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
@Synonym a city car with isofix won't give you anything more than a placebo effect for protecting your little pineapple.

Seat beats are still the universal method to fasten child seats to cars.

Reality is those cars are safety rated for hitting pedestrians, and slow speed bumps.

I traded my i10 after I nearly rolled it while swerving on the N2. Also go on a family trip in an i10 and its like trying to steer the Evergreen through a meteor storm.

Relook at the Jazz, it's way safer. You need those curtain airbags, better road handling and space.

I drive a ballade and that is a big car, but test driving the Jazz did not feel big

airborne

Honorary Master
Clio auto as far as I know had a dual clutch. Don't think it's torque converter. Just something to consider. I have a dual clutch Clio. It's not as good as a torque converter for a daily. But it is an Ncap 5 star car with a decent boot
Dual clutch means big $$$ when it breaks and unlike a TC gearbox it's virtually a guaranteed at some point vs probably never?

nazmo

Expert Member
Dual clutch means big $$$ when it breaks and unlike a TC gearbox it's virtually a guaranteed at some point vs probably never?

pretty much. we have had 3 dual clutches to date, all did 100 000kms with no issue. problem is i think OP said an older clio. so you dont have a warranty to back you up.

Synonym

I am changing my approach based upon the replies. So I am looking for a car with the most airbags and safety is a priority.

1. Mazda 2
2. Honda Jazz
3. Renault Clio
4. Renault Captur
5. Citroen c3

Has anyone had a rear camera fitted in their car? It seems only the Jazz sport has this feature and I could cut costs by going for the 1.2 comfort and get this fitted.

Any car can be high risk but some are more high risk than others from the data, so I have not considered Ford and VW.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I am changing my approach based upon the replies. So I am looking for a car with the most airbags and safety is a priority.

1. Mazda 2
2. Honda Jazz
3. Renault Clio
4. Renault Captur
5. Citroen c3

Has anyone had a rear camera fitted in their car? It seems only the Jazz sport has this feature and I could cut costs by going for the 1.2 comfort and get this fitted.

Any car can be high risk but some are more high risk than others from the data, so I have not considered Ford and VW.
Add a Peugeot 108 to the list, none of the small, overpriced cars comes close in terms of safety features.