What is the best small automatic?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ah. Another measure to deal with general population stupidity.
Thanks.

ChuckMeFarley

Not sure which older model you were looking at but, I owned the manual Clio 4 for 5 years so I cannot comment on the auto. What I can add that nobody seemed to mention:

(I just want to add this was really an amazing car overall just a few niggles I encountered)

1. It has the most awful blind spots I have ever come across due to those massive c pillars. Nearly caused a couple oopsies in my time driving her.

2. Due to the bonnet shape and steep drop-off on the corners, it is harder to judge those corners in a tight space.

3. Only ever buy if you have a full maintenance plan, parts prices are ridiculous outside of a maintenance plan. (Sold her just outside of maintenance)

4. Budget on new brake discs every second service/ yearly, God knows why these wear so quickly. (Even the maintenance plan I was on queried this thinking it was a scam for a quick buck until I went to take photos for them).

5. The thermostat housing seems to be a plastic part that cracks and leaks, something to monitor. (Maybe this was just my luck.)

On the plus side, they are very light on fuel and highway driving isn't a pain considering the little 900cc engine. The ride was comfortable enough for daily traffic and long distances. Standard features were great compared to other brands at the time.

@epah mentioned the 120d. This is a great option! I was going to buy one after I sold the Clio but settled on the F30 320d. More space for the same money. My maintenance so far has cost me less than the Clio would have. Just service those diesels regularly and they're bullet proof!

TheChamp

Honorary Master
why? because it looks bad?
not everybody hates its looks, I think its not too bad, especially if its the newest models.
That and because it was a cheaply made car, I doubt it has the safety spec that OP needs.

Synonym

For some reason there are no stock of new clio's. The earliest will be a 2019 which means the service plan is up.

Van87

I am changing my approach based upon the replies. So I am looking for a car with the most airbags and safety is a priority.

1. Mazda 2
2. Honda Jazz
3. Renault Clio
4. Renault Captur
5. Citroen c3

Has anyone had a rear camera fitted in their car? It seems only the Jazz sport has this feature and I could cut costs by going for the 1.2 comfort and get this fitted.

Any car can be high risk but some are more high risk than others from the data, so I have not considered Ford and VW.
I really don't want to nitpick, since it's your money, it's your choice...

But...

If you feel you NEED a rear camera for such a small car such as a Jazz or equivalent, I have to question your capabilities, or your own personal driving confidence.

I have one standard fitted on my Toyota starlet, but I never use it. The car is tiny.

The only advice I can give you, is don't make a decision based on your judgement or similarly sized cars, you will get use to it in no time.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not sure which older model you were looking at but, I owned the manual Clio 4 for 5 years so I cannot comment on the auto. What I can add that nobody seemed to mention:

(I just want to add this was really an amazing car overall just a few niggles I encountered)

1. It has the most awful blind spots I have ever come across due to those massive c pillars. Nearly caused a couple oopsies in my time driving her.

2. Due to the bonnet shape and steep drop-off on the corners, it is harder to judge those corners in a tight space.

3. Only ever buy if you have a full maintenance plan, parts prices are ridiculous outside of a maintenance plan. (Sold her just outside of maintenance)

4. Budget on new brake discs every second service/ yearly, God knows why these wear so quickly. (Even the maintenance plan I was on queried this thinking it was a scam for a quick buck until I went to take photos for them).

5. The thermostat housing seems to be a plastic part that cracks and leaks, something to monitor. (Maybe this was just my luck.)

On the plus side, they are very light on fuel and highway driving isn't a pain considering the little 900cc engine. The ride was comfortable enough for daily traffic and long distances. Standard features were great compared to other brands at the time.

@epah mentioned the 120d. This is a great option! I was going to buy one after I sold the Clio but settled on the F30 320d. More space for the same money. My maintenance so far has cost me less than the Clio would have. Just service those diesels regularly and they're bullet proof!
I've had a Clio 4 since 2018.
1. Agreed the C pillars are massive, but adjusted my side mirrors and haven't had any oopsies (I did have 2 in my Cruze though cause of it's boot).
2. Not sure again? I don't have any issues judging corners? How tall are you? Perhaps you're not able to see over the steering wheel properly? As even my wife who's 1.7m tall hasn't had this issue.
3. Can't comment on this as my car is still under warranty, but sadly all car parts are pricey, most pricey of the lot was my old Polo.
4. 3 years, never replaced pads at all, perhaps driving style?
5. A lot of cars thermostats are in plastic housings, my 2005 Polo's was and it cracked and shattered. Was pretty pricey as well back in 2009 costing around R1500 back then.

I agree pretty light on fuel, really good to drive even with the 900cc motor, the turbo helps a lot. Has a nice set of features I only saw in more pricier cars, the facelifted model looks really good as well.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I am changing my approach based upon the replies. So I am looking for a car with the most airbags and safety is a priority.

1. Mazda 2
2. Honda Jazz
3. Renault Clio
4. Renault Captur
5. Citroen c3

Has anyone had a rear camera fitted in their car? It seems only the Jazz sport has this feature and I could cut costs by going for the 1.2 comfort and get this fitted.

Any car can be high risk but some are more high risk than others from the data, so I have not considered Ford and VW.
Why would you need a rear camera? those are all hatchbacks, so they pretty much end where the rear window ends...
Its a different situation if a car has a boot, hatchbacks are easy.

ChuckMeFarley

I've had a Clio 4 since 2018.
1. Agreed the C pillars are massive, but adjusted my side mirrors and haven't had any oopsies (I did have 2 in my Cruze though cause of it's boot).
2. Not sure again? I don't have any issues judging corners? How tall are you? Perhaps you're not able to see over the steering wheel properly? As even my wife who's 1.7m tall hasn't had this issue.
3. Can't comment on this as my car is still under warranty, but sadly all car parts are pricey, most pricey of the lot was my old Polo.
4. 3 years, never replaced pads at all, perhaps driving style?
5. A lot of cars thermostats are in plastic housings, my 2005 Polo's was and it cracked and shattered. Was pretty pricey as well back in 2009 costing around R1500 back then.

I agree pretty light on fuel, really good to drive even with the 900cc motor, the turbo helps a lot. Has a nice set of features I only saw in more pricier cars, the facelifted model looks really good as well.
1. Learned quickly to adjust those side mirrors out far.
2. Meant more the tight spaces as in parking spaces, fair point although I am not short I did set my seat quite low :). Wasn't really an issue for me driving but a few people that drove my car mentioned it.
4. Just the discs were the issue, not the pads. Mine was of the first 2013/4 range, maybe something changed in the interim.

Agreed! Love the new look! If I was going to buy a new vehicle, the Clio would certainly be an option again.