What is the best small automatic?

Cius

Executive Member
Can you enlighten me as to why?

Genuine question (I have been eyeing the Peugeot 2008 recently :laugh: )
It varies greatly between them, with Citreon being the worst and Peugot being a lot better but spare parts are often an issue and tend to cost more. They also are less easy to maintain in terms of doing it yourself.

Not that my experience is exhaustive but I have known a few French car owners and many of them after the first experience swear off them forever. A close friend bought Citreon and after a computer component broke the car was essentially a write off. Similar for a wifes's work colleague. Constant expensive repairs that where more than the value of the car. Similar story with a Renault with a neighbor. Gearbox's absolutely sucked, cost 20K per replacement, and he put in 2 in 2 years at his own expense as the manufacturer refused to admit the gearboxes in those vans where badly designed.

Renault is by far the best of the 3 from what I hear but you can also hit a big dud from what I hear. The only two people I knew who loved French cars where into Renaults, but did tend to replace new every 3 years and so never had the car without warranty. If you plan on driving it beyond that the experience gets worse from what I hear. Up to you though.

nazmo

Expert Member
Not sure which older model you were looking at but, I owned the manual Clio 4 for 5 years so I cannot comment on the auto. What I can add that nobody seemed to mention:

(I just want to add this was really an amazing car overall just a few niggles I encountered)

1. It has the most awful blind spots I have ever come across due to those massive c pillars. Nearly caused a couple oopsies in my time driving her.

2. Due to the bonnet shape and steep drop-off on the corners, it is harder to judge those corners in a tight space.

3. Only ever buy if you have a full maintenance plan, parts prices are ridiculous outside of a maintenance plan. (Sold her just outside of maintenance)

4. Budget on new brake discs every second service/ yearly, God knows why these wear so quickly. (Even the maintenance plan I was on queried this thinking it was a scam for a quick buck until I went to take photos for them).

5. The thermostat housing seems to be a plastic part that cracks and leaks, something to monitor. (Maybe this was just my luck.)

On the plus side, they are very light on fuel and highway driving isn't a pain considering the little 900cc engine. The ride was comfortable enough for daily traffic and long distances. Standard features were great compared to other brands at the time.

@epah mentioned the 120d. This is a great option! I was going to buy one after I sold the Clio but settled on the F30 320d. More space for the same money. My maintenance so far has cost me less than the Clio would have. Just service those diesels regularly and they're bullet proof!

I have a clio for 4 yrs. Granted its an RS trophy, but here's my 2c....

1) blindspots is tricky, but as a result the car looks good lol... french.
2) Never had an issue with parking/manouvering car, but my wife isnt a fan.
3) Full maintenance plan on my car was stupid expensive, service plan been great.
4) For some reason. the RS disks/Pads last much longer than the rest of the range. I did my disks at 58 000kms
5) No issues to date. could be that its a Nismo handbuilt engine, but they bulletroof

Wont talk consumption. I hide that display. All in all with a clio you generally get more tech and options vs competitors. the facelift with LED headlights/tailights look awesome. IM still two minded to recommend it as a daily though....

nazmo

Expert Member
Can you enlighten me as to why?

Genuine question (I have been eyeing the Peugeot 2008 recently :laugh: )

Once again. im conflicted. love my car. HATE the after service. I had someone drive into me and some parts took 2 months to get here. granted they dont keep much stock of my car. Then the dealerships are mostly idiots. However i found a gem of a dealership and use them exclusively.

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Hi,

I am looking for a reliable small auto that has isofix.

So far the list is:

1. Kia Picanto. I would go for the street>style>smart. Why doesn't the smart have remote central locking or a rear wiper? very strange. I would go for the 1.0 to lower costs.

2. Hyundai i10 grand. I looked at earlier models but only a new 2021 has isofix.

3. Suzuki Ignis. I liked it but how safe is the keyless entry and push start? The lack of a park mode is strange.

4. Renault Clio 1.2

What would you recommend?

Honda Jazz and Suzuki swift is a bit to big, Mazda 2 is above my budget but may consider depending on the best options.

Thanks
I have the Ford figo automatic.. Highly recommend.. Very zippy.. 87kilowatt

ozziej

There are a few people hating on the Peugeot, but its really not justified, basically all of the Opel dealers are now also Peugeot dealers, so unless you don't like near a main city (JHB / CT / Durban) you should have no issues with spares, repairs, services etc. Opel and Peugeot now share common engines, gearboxes and some other bits and pieces.
Also, if you're looking at a new, have a look at the new Corsa, or new 208 (the 2008 is the SUV)
They both have decent engines, rear camera, and are available in auto. They are a bit more expensive than some of the other brands, but much better fit / finish IMHO.

Synonym

What do you think about a 2019 Opel Corsa 1.4 Enjoy, is in the high risk category?

lowriderza

Expert Member
I test drove a lot of entry level automatics last year. I ended up spending a bit more on an Ecosport. Granted I drive a lot so that influenced the purchase.

My two cents? From the initial list if you're forced to stay in that price bracket, I'd get the Picanto. They're safe and petrol consumption is great. I personally hated the Suzuki Ignis because of the gearbox. Apparently one can get used to it, but I just hated the way it "hunted" for the right gear all the bloody time. I test drove the Swift with the same box and it was **** as well.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
It varies greatly between them, with Citreon being the worst and Peugot being a lot better but spare parts are often an issue and tend to cost more. They also are less easy to maintain in terms of doing it yourself.

Not that my experience is exhaustive but I have known a few French car owners and many of them after the first experience swear off them forever. A close friend bought Citreon and after a computer component broke the car was essentially a write off. Similar for a wifes's work colleague. Constant expensive repairs that where more than the value of the car. Similar story with a Renault with a neighbor. Gearbox's absolutely sucked, cost 20K per replacement, and he put in 2 in 2 years at his own expense as the manufacturer refused to admit the gearboxes in those vans where badly designed.

Renault is by far the best of the 3 from what I hear but you can also hit a big dud from what I hear. The only two people I knew who loved French cars where into Renaults, but did tend to replace new every 3 years and so never had the car without warranty. If you plan on driving it beyond that the experience gets worse from what I hear. Up to you though.
That's an old myth especially with regards to Renault. They share pretty much every component with Nissan now and you can't beat Japanese reliability. Parts aren't even an issue either since they have a local distribution warehouse...

chromedome

Expert Member
I test drove a lot of entry level automatics last year. I ended up spending a bit more on an Ecosport. Granted I drive a lot so that influenced the purchase.

My two cents? From the initial list if you're forced to stay in that price bracket, I'd get the Picanto. They're safe and petrol consumption is great. I personally hated the Suzuki Ignis because of the gearbox. Apparently one can get used to it, but I just hated the way it "hunted" for the right gear all the bloody time. I test drove the Swift with the same box and it was **** as well.
Does the Ecosport have the torque converter automatic box?

Cius

Executive Member
That's an old myth especially with regards to Renault. They share pretty much every component with Nissan now and you can't beat Japanese reliability. Parts aren't even an issue either since they have a local distribution warehouse...
The Citreon experience was 2 years ago for the one friend. However yes, Renault as stated has done the most to fix the issues. Sad thing is they all 3 make great cars. When I was in France I saw so many French cars and they worked there. The main issue with French cars in SA was for the most part not the cars themselves, it was after sale service. Glad to hear Renault is at least shaking that image. Personally though I am happy for now to stick with Honda.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Every time I see this headline pop up I read it as "What is the best small automatic rifle?" LOL

airborne

Honorary Master
Renault is definitely the best of the bunch for the reasons you have outlined. Models like the Duster are actually the best value for money in their segment and really great vehicles.

For me personally Renault is as far as I'd go, Citroen and Peugeot make some great cars but I've heard of too many epic flops for me to be able to comfortably hand over any cash in that general direction. Also their resale value is typically atrocious and that can often even be after sinking a fortune into them in repairs.

Synonym

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/renault-captur-dropped-airbags-to-cut-cost-21927

"The Captur is built without any rear airbags because Renault knew it would score well in NCAP without them and it would save money.

Pejout admits the Captur would be safer with rear airbags, while providing plenty of justifications for the omission. "It's always a money issue," he tells Carsguide. Asked straight-out if the Captur would be safer with rear airbags he answers "Yes"."

Old article but still...Wtf!

Last edited:

Synonym

Hi,

Mazda 2 (1.5 dynamic auto) 2020 vs Honda Jazz (1.2 comfort auto) 2020. Which is safer?