what is the cheapest?

oros

Hi
I want to who is the cheapest prepaid service provider in calls and data and also that gives value for money between telkom mobile,fnb mobile and cell c? Do you guys know? As I am looking to see if it is worth the effort or time to move from telkom mobile?

Jake45

Expert Member
Telkom's Mo'Nice (*123#) deals are usually the cheapest for calls and data. If you load your airtime onto a Telkom More SIM you can double the airtime and then transfer the airtime that you loaded onto a different SmartInternet data or Sim-Sonke SIM to get better rates using the Transfer Airtime option on *180#. You can then use the free airtime on the Telkom More SIM to make free calls.

Last edited:

Madara

my smartbroadband 500mb+ 500mb night data + 10GB telkom data deal has finally stopped giving me that extra 10GB this month after about 6 months after the contract end date, so I'm also quite interested in some cheap data... currently even considering VCs sim only offering of 10GB+ 10GB night @ R149 p/m but don't feel like phoning them to find out how much it costs to cancel a sim-only contract.

cavedog

Honorary Master
my smartbroadband 500mb+ 500mb night data + 10GB telkom data deal has finally stopped giving me that extra 10GB this month after about 6 months after the contract end date, so I'm also quite interested in some cheap data... currently even considering VCs sim only offering of 10GB+ 10GB night @ R149 p/m but don't feel like phoning them to find out how much it costs to cancel a sim-only contract.

Have you considered a Telkom sim only deal from Axxess? it's month to month and only R99 for 10GB+10GB. Very good deal if you were happy with the Telkom contract. That or you can just "upgrade" your Telkom contract to the same month to month deal directly from Telkom.

Madara

Have you considered a Telkom sim only deal from Axxess? it's month to month and only R99 for 10GB+10GB. Very good deal if you were happy with the Telkom contract. That or you can just "upgrade" your Telkom contract to the same month to month deal directly from Telkom.

thinking about that one too, didn't quite understand the details at first glance, gonna have a look at it again, hopefully I can just do it on my current sim.

Edit: it doesn't lock you to a tower does it ? seeing as they are talking about fixed LTE on that page

cavedog

Honorary Master
thinking about that one too, didn't quite understand the details at first glance, gonna have a look at it again, hopefully I can just do it on my current sim.

Yes if your current sim is due for an upgrade you can change it to a month to month sim only deal. Do not sign a new 24 contract unless you want a new device.

Madara

Yes if your current sim is due for an upgrade you can change it to a month to month sim only deal. Do not sign a new 24 contract unless you want a new device.

could I do it on my pre-paid sim as I like that number better.

Madara

I'm also not seeing an option to get it on my own sim, or would I have to call them ?

cavedog

Honorary Master
could I do it on my pre-paid sim as I like that number better.

On prepaid they charge more. R99 gives you 5+5GB and R149 gives you 10+10GB I think.

To buy them you need to be on Prepaid Smartboradband wireless price plan.

Madara

On prepaid they charge more. R99 gives you 5+5GB and R149 gives you 10+10GB I think.

To buy them you need to be on Prepaid Smartboradband wireless price plan.

I see, that being the case then I'm gonna have to try and get them to move my contract sim to that plan.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I see, that being the case then I'm gonna have to try and get them to move my contract sim to that plan.

They are able to do it over the phone I believe. Give them a call and see what they say 10213

argh

What I use and found out:
  • Cell C prepaid calls, 66c/min on a basic/feature cellphone.
  • Cell C anynet calling plan on a smartphone (range from R7 to R200), I mainly use the R200 one, 15 hours calls to any number in South Africa, valid 30 days, 22c/min, emergency and toll free numbers are free.
  • For overseas calls (although works for local calls too), Whatsapp.
  • I found that Telkom Freeme calls do not work for many numbers in South Africa, eg. toll free, and required extra airtime to phone those.
  • FNB unlimited calling plans have difficult to understand and rather crazy-sounding T&Cs.
  • Free FNB data that customers get with various accounts may be worth having.
  • Cell C prepaid Gb valid for 365 days, various prices available, I use R2000 for 200 Gb (R10/Gb).
  • Tellkom fixed LTE, whether from Telkom or another ISP, does not work at my address. Only the roaming Telkom option works at my address.
  • VOIP phone calls from various ISPs, which can be used on a fixed/cordless phone plugged into a router, and/or on a smartphone app, can be very reasonable for local and overseas calls. Each Voip provider has their own pricing, eg Vox, Mweb, Axxess, and others mentioned in these forums (you can search "voip" to read the posts).

cavedog

Honorary Master
What I use and found out:
  • Cell C prepaid calls, 66c/min on a basic/feature cellphone.
  • Cell C anynet calling plan on a smartphone (range from R7 to R200), I mainly use the R200 one, 15 hours calls to any number in South Africa, valid 30 days, 22c/min, emergency and toll free numbers are free.
  • For overseas calls (although works for local calls too), Whatsapp.
  • I found that Telkom Freeme calls do not work for many numbers in South Africa, eg. toll free, and required extra airtime to phone those.
  • FNB unlimited calling plans have difficult to understand and rather crazy-sounding T&Cs.
  • Free FNB data that customers get with various accounts may be worth having.
  • Cell C prepaid Gb valid for 365 days, various prices available, I use R2000 for 200 Gb (R10/Gb).
  • Tellkom fixed LTE, whether from Telkom or another ISP, does not work at my address. Only the roaming Telkom option works at my address.
  • VOIP phone calls from various ISPs, which can be used on a fixed/cordless phone plugged into a router, and/or on a smartphone app, can be very reasonable for local and overseas calls. Each Voip provider has their own pricing, eg Vox, Mweb, Axxess, and others mentioned in these forums (you can search "voip" to read the posts).

A Cellc simcard for calling because the R99 for 240min or R199 for 900min is very decent price for calling. It has to be a phone with 3G at least because in the cities Cellc has switched off 2G on most towers and 2G only works while roaming on Vodacom.

Another very good calling simcard is the Telkom simcard with Telkom more price plan. The extra airtime that you get calls any network. Also you can get decent Mo Nice voice bundles.

Space

A Cellc simcard for calling because the R99 for 240min or R199 for 900min is very decent price for calling. It has to be a phone with 3G at least because in the cities Cellc has switched off 2G on most towers and 2G only works while roaming on Vodacom.

Cell-C now roams on MTN, not Vodacom

Space

Still works on Voracom

Please explain @cavedog - I know you are the expert on cellular frequencies and towers -

does Cell-C roam on Vodacom for 2G (after switching off 2G on their own remaining towers )
and
Cell-C roam on MTN for 3G and 4G (after their tower agreement with MTN) ?

<<
Struggling network provider Cell C has signed a roaming agreement with competitor MTN, allowing its users to use to MTN network. Cell C's previous agreement with MTN in 2018 allowed it to use MTN's 2G, 3G and 4G network outside main metropolitan areas, but the new deal includes metropolitan areas as well.Nov 18, 2019
<<

cavedog

Honorary Master
Please explain @cavedog - I know you are the expert on cellular frequencies and towers -

does Cell-C roam on Vodacom for 2G (after switching off 2G on their own remaining towers )
and
Cell-C roam on MTN for 3G and 4G (after their tower agreement with MTN) ?

<<
Struggling network provider Cell C has signed a roaming agreement with competitor MTN, allowing its users to use to MTN network. Cell C's previous agreement with MTN in 2018 allowed it to use MTN's 2G, 3G and 4G network outside main metropolitan areas, but the new deal includes metropolitan areas as well.Nov 18, 2019
<<

You don't have to bold fond in quote from a an article that I read ages ago.

Go on your phone now and do a manual network search with a Cellc Simcard. Select Vodacom 2G. Share the results. The Cellc MTN roaming is seamless so you won't ever know if you are roaming. The Vodacom roaming is still the old agreement which is still in place because there are likely some contracts involved there. Because the MTN and Cellc roaming is seamless as in MTN towers broadcasts Cellc PLMN ID roaming on Vodacom will be less frequent as before as the roaming requires the simcard to completely lose signal before it attempts to roam on Vodacom and when it does it will show R.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
My mo'nice offers max 4Gb currently.
I read a post on mybb recently too late at night where someone suggested Telkom has a 250Gb offer somewhere?

Do any of you guys know about it, or alternatively which data bundle is the highest in terms of bandwidth for the cheapest price?

USSD number and options?

Thanks.