What programmers love, dread, and want

Meh. A language is a language. I started out in COBOL - the syntax is all the same after that. I switch languages more than I switch underwear (In a day). Same goes for Operating systems - Its 11 AM, so its CENTOS and that Java app.

What I dread is Performance reviews. 'You only closed 12 service requests in the past 3 months, while Eddie in Systems Support closed 180.'
And The Spreadsheet. The one that no one except the Borderline Aspie in Accounting know about, but turns out to be core to the new project requirements.

What I love - A manger that understands. 'What are you doing at his desk? No, you talk to me first and we log a call for that. He's busy, don't distract him. If it doesn't go though the proper channels, it doesn't happen. Get away from his desk.'

Last edited:
What programmers love:
Casual clothes, flexi hours, coffee and batman plush toys

What programmers dread
Suits, corporate managers, 30 signatures to fix a spell check in prod, never-seen-a-line-of-code-in-my-life-but-you'll-code-it-my-way leads

What programmers want
Off days, coffee and batman plush toys

...our choice of a language is an added bonus

What programmers love:

What programmers dread
Suits, corporate managers, 30 signatures to fix a spell check in prod, never-seen-a-line-of-code-in-my-life-but-you'll-code-it-my-way leads

What programmers want

The headline was misleading, thanks for posting that.

And The Spreadsheet. The one that no one except the Borderline Aspie in Accounting know about, but turns out to be core to the new project requirements.
Say no more ... I once had dealings with a financial manager who had developed his entire payroll system in Multiplan :sick:

What programmers love:

What programmers dread

What programmers want

Agreed - excluding the Batman plush toys.

And don't forget

What programmers dread
Hawai shirt friday. Team building.
Taking over a system written by a self taught programmer who is actually a (Brilliant) Chemical Engineer. (Talking to the lady in question reminded me of a chihuahua on speed, until I realized its because she was actually 3 sentences ahead in the conversation, and waiting for me to catch up. )

What programmers love:

What programmers dread

What programmers want

+1

Back