What version of Android smartphone owners are using

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
What version of Android smartphone owners are using

Unlike iOS handsets, Android smartphones are produced by a variety of manufacturers, each of which attempts to implement their own optimised and unique version of Google’s operating system.

This can result in interesting anomalies, such as the significant difference between Huawei’s EMUI Android skin and the custom Android OS on Samsung devices.

sajunky

Honorary Master
1. There are no 'anomalies'. EMUI 8 is clearly superior to the standard Android 8. Especially liked by former iOS users.

2. Not all users prefer endless buggy updates. Huawei is one of few carefully screening updates before releasing anything to the public.

There is currently a push by Google to force OEMs to provide timeous 'security' updates. These are nothing else than updates to the spying Google FoolPlay engine, but Google now threatens OEMs they would lose licensing rights if not deploying updates timeously.

This article is aimed to create public perception that Google is doing right things.

Jacobofski

I have a Nokia 7 Plus and I am using Android Pie with a November 2018 security update. It is an Android One device and Nokia always has the latest security updates within a month available.
There is two other Nokia's in our household, a Nokia 1 and a Nokia 2.1 both running Android Go 8.1 and both has November 2018 security updates. Android Go is a light version of Android and run comfortably on phones with 8gb storage.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
It's just a fact that if you care about the latest updates then Apple is your only choice... And that's not much of a consolation. From the frying pan into the fire...

Jacobofski

1. There are no 'anomalies'. EMUI 8 is clearly superior to the standard Android 8. Especially liked by former iOS users.

2. Not all users prefer endless buggy updates. Huawei is one of few carefully screening updates before releasing anything to the public.

There is currently a push by Google to force OEMs to provide timeous 'security' updates. These are nothing else than updates to the spying Google FoolPlay engine, but Google now threatens OEMs they would lose licensing rights if not deploying updates timeously.

This article is aimed to create public perception that Google is doing right things.
This security updates is genuine security updates and not a tool to spy on you. All my phones have already November 2018 updates. The Pie update is a security and a camera app update, and was provided after Nokia tested it.
So wherever you get your information, it is purely to discredit Google and Android.
And IOS is for iSheep!

Jacobofski

It's just a fact that if you care about the latest updates then Apple is your only choice... And that's not much of a consolation. From the frying pan into the fire...
Ja whatever! All my Nokias has the latest Android updates. November 2018.

sajunky

Honorary Master
This security updates is genuine security updates and not a tool to spy on you. All my phones have already November 2018 updates.
[...]
So wherever you get your information, it is purely to discredit Google and Android.
And IOS is for iSheep!
Huawei Y6 2018 did receive lates Nov/2018 updates. Not a part of Android One, I wouldn't be happy of that anyway.

Google FoolPlay Services is a spyware implanted on every Android phone. I don't believe that something that is forced on me is a purely for my own security. Want a proof? Give me an option to disable it.