What would DVTs rate be to develop an app like Uber ?

Lebogang95

No, I don't want to develop another Uber. I'm just trying to find a benchmark for how much DVT & Co charge to develop these things.

Priapus

Executive Member
No, I don't want to develop another Uber. I'm just trying to find a benchmark for how much DVT & Co charge to develop these things.

Not easy to give you a figure. Depends on what backend services you have in place - if any. We would then go from there. A thumb suck, would be over R500k.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
You are forgetting about the tech stack that they may use. DVT AFAIK favors Java so the time needed to develop and test may a little higher than if you used something like Python.

The labor alone will be your most important cost, but you should also consider in the costs of hosting, licensing and maintenance, which will be a monthly cost to you.

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
Put down 5mil as starting capital, and then another 4-6 over the next 3 years.

If you have 20mil burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means, but you'll be on the back foot (not first to market) with that idea of yours...

You could get it done for the low low price of about 2 million, but at that point you're just throwing money at the salaries of a 3 man team. No premises, no hosting / backend, no tech stack.

Good luck with the tender, tell your business partner (and his wife) to enjoy the X5 and don't subcontract to India or China...

Last edited:

Priapus

Executive Member
DVT AFAIK favors Java so the time needed to develop and test may a little higher than if you used something like Python.

We don't favour a particular language. Always use the best tool that fits the job. ;)

CT_Biker

Expert Member
We don't favour a particular language. Always use the best tool that fits the job. ;)

I had a look at some of the jobs that were advertised, the bulk of them were Java related. I am not familiar with the inner workings of DVT.

Priapus

Executive Member
I had a look at some of the jobs that were advertised, the bulk of them were Java related. I am not familiar with the inner workings of DVT.

That's a fair point; from the outside it may seem like that. We do have a lot of Java guys - but its just the response to the demand for such skills from clients.

genetic

Honorary Master
Not easy to give you a figure. Depends on what backend services you have in place - if any. We would then go from there. A thumb suck, would be over R500k.
I'm sure an app and it's backend costs well into the millions.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
It really depends on the complexity...

DVT mostly does B2B Corporate 2 Corporate that's got a couple of million ZAR to throw at developing an application.

For a more bootstrapped startup point of view with non-technical founders, you can get a solo remote developer or even small remote team (even South Africans) that does backends api's + React Native and have the MVP developed for a fraction of the price.