What's for breakfast?

Snyper564

Expert Member
Looks fantastic. Very professional. Are you using year old starter?
I managed to purchase a bit of starter from two deli style restaurants and just feed them. I have had them for a year but I can imagine they had them for years! Never had the patience to make my own so I went this route! Thanks for the kind compliments, try get one done a week. My wife loves freshly baked sourdough on the weekend. There is nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the house!

Also been making sourdough the last year now and only recently have I felt that I'm finally understanding the kneading, so I'm happy about that!

Just finished cooling and ready to munch on!

15472678692131055677574.jpg

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
I managed to purchase a bit of starter from two deli style restaurants and just feed them. I have had them for a year but I can imagine they had them for years! Never had the patience to make my own so I went this route! Thanks for the kind compliments, try get one done a week. My wife loves freshly baked sourdough on the weekend. There is nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the house!

Also been making sourdough the last year now and only recently have I felt that I'm finally understanding the kneading, so I'm happy about that!

Just finished cooling and ready to munch on!

View attachment 602164
Nice that you're using an old starter. The crumb looks good too :)

Have you tried stretch and fold instead of kneading?

P.S. love your choice of knife.

maumau

Honorary Master
What’s an old starter?
Hahaha it must sound very strange.

I'm no expert but from what I understand starter, which is used in sourdough instead of yeast, develops a deeper flavour as time goes by.

New starter, made by leaving flour and water to ferment (?) will rise bread but won't add much flavour. Flour and water are added to what's left of the starter and that's used next time you bake. Rinse and repeat.

Which is why Snyper564 scored some from a friend instead of starting his own. :)

Some starters are supposedly hundreds of years old.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Hahaha it must sound very strange.

I'm no expert but from what I understand starter, which is used in sourdough instead of yeast, develops a deeper flavour as time goes by.

New starter, made by leaving flour and water to ferment (?) will rise bread but won't add much flavour. Flour and water are added to what's left of the starter and that's used next time you bake. Rinse and repeat.

Which is why Snyper564 scored some from a friend instead of starting his own. :)

Some starters are supposedly hundreds of years old.
Both places I got my starter from have been around atleast 10 years so I'm thinking it's older than that. But you are correct full of loads of flavor. Once you get the technique and method done it's super easy and so worth the effort and all the bread has is water flour and salt because the way the bread developes its way healthier than normal bread. But you can Google health benefits of sourdough.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
so this flour and water has been lying around for 10 years ?

Does it go off or anything

and that break looks good ..no butter on bread pics with a nice cup of coffee in a tin mug

Snyper564

Expert Member
so this flour and water has been lying around for 10 years ?

Does it go off or anything

and that break looks good ..no butter on bread pics with a nice cup of coffee in a tin mug
Its a living "creature/culture" you constantly need to feed it. Its basically living yeast. Once a week I pop mine out the fridge take what I need for the bread and feed it with more flour and water.

Google this: alex french guy sourdough starter (
)
Watch the series on sourdough from starter to bread and you will understand.

ITs some of the earliest form of bread making, it basically replaces industrial yeast with "natural" yeast that occurs in flour, totally different flavor texture and also healthier.