What's for supper - Second Course

cavedog

Honorary Master
Looks like you bought mini pizzas and added toppings.
Yeah sorry edited home made. No time after work to make pizza dough. Would have been really nice though and I have the yeast and flour

ponder

Honorary Master
Yeah sorry edited home made. No time after work to make pizza dough. Would have been really nice though and I have the yeast and flour
Make a batch and keep it in the fridge, remove before time and allow to reach room temp before docking and use.

maumau

Honorary Master
Make a batch and keep it in the fridge, remove before time and allow to reach room temp before docking and use.
Thanks for the spreadsheet, very useful :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Thanks for the spreadsheet, very useful :)
Pleasure. It's for thin crispy base pizza. Relatively dry dough, so don't add more water. Let rise first before docking and refrigerating.

I use snowflake self-raising flour and those purple packets of anchor yeast I let to proof in the tepid water.

If you don't have a proper high heat ~400C pizza oven, prebake your base on each side in your kitchen oven until you see very light brown spots appearing, flip over and repeat. If you see any big air pockets building pop them. Let cool to room temp on oven rack before adding sauce/toppings then simply slide oven rack back into oven. Always use preheated oven at max.

For the sauce,
Can whole peeled italian/spanish tomatoes in heavy puree
1/4 fresh green bell pepper,
1/4 fresh yellow onion
1 clove fresh garlic, minced or crush garlic
1 teaspoon robertsons mixed herbs

Chuck in blender and dice. On low heat reduce to about 50% volume then mix in small sachet of tomato paste and let simmer for 5min or so. Sauce will have a thick consistency which I prefer. You can double up and make extra if you want for next time or use for pasta but I prefer fresh and it does not take long.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Curry mince & poached eggs on toasted crunchy vetkoek.

Edit: sweet jesus this is good, the curry mince is pretty close to Maidstone country club curry mince which was killer back in the day, did the poached eggs in a pot this time and they came out perfect, the toasted vetkoet stays crunchy and not getting soggy. You could easily flog this for R250 for breakfast!

Last edited: