WhatsApp bug could expose all your messages

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
News such as this is everywhere on the internet. You can probably take it all with a bucketful of salt. FB is not likely to commit such a huge blunder nowadays... Or are they? They've been in hot water before for doing careless and stupid things but it's always wound up costing them millions. It's not as though they can't easily afford the fines, but why throw away money unnecessarily???

Dups!

Maybe I am having a slow day or am half-alseep but could someone clarify this for me?

Is the article implying that the scenario above happens when one buys a recycled number and then sets up whatsapp?

kianm

Honorary Master
Interesting. Normally service providers won't recycle a number that quickly I'm sure (45 days of inactivity) so this is pure carelessness on WA's side

sajunky

Honorary Master
I agree, it must be something else, i.e. bugs in spying networking equipment. Besides, sharing chats across devices was implemented poorly from the beginning. Server based messaging is much more reliable than poorly implemented hooks to the end-to-end encryption protocol.

I prefer Telegram approach where secret chats are not sharing and encryption keys are changing on regular basis which means that reading older messages fails when attempting to read from some other 'paired' device.

Fox1

Expert Member
Thought WhatsApp doesn't store messages on their side.