WhatsApp Multi-device work around discussion

ronz91

Expert Member
Hey guys

So the WhatsApp multi-device feature recently hit beta but is looking like its gonna be a dud. (see below link)

WhatsApp Multi Device support: Big setback likely for users when feature arrives

So I was expecting it to allow multiple smartphones, as I am currently on android and wanted to get an iphone as a secondary. I wanted to atleast try to use the iphone as a daily driver. But with the current state, this would be difficult as Whatsapp is my main IM.

Cannot switch away from Whatsapp coz the main people are all on it i.e. network effects

Whatsapp have said they are developing a way to switch back ups between Android and iPhone, but I wanted to have them both running simultaneously incase of unforeseen roadblocks, not to mention I don't trust Whatsapps' feature to be reliable or be released any time soon.

So anyway, after some research, I see people have already made Android apps that package the Whatsapp Web website as an app that allows them to run Whatsapp web on the secondary phone simultaneous with the primary. Ofcourse, I wanna do so with an iphone.

Also the apps do not make the Whatsapp Web interface scale well to a phone screen. They lack push notifications as well as far as I see.

So I know this is a long shot but an interesting discussion. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

neo_

No suggestions here as I don't know enough about how it works, but what I will say is that more and more people are using other messengers in addition to Whatsapp. Perhaps you'd be surprised at how many have also got Telegram installed…

ronz91

Expert Member
No suggestions here as I don't know enough about how it works, but what I will say is that more and more people are using other messengers in addition to Whatsapp. Perhaps you'd be surprised at how many have also got Telegram installed…
yeah thats a fair assumption, but the parents will not switch over, hence telegram on a second phone won't work right now

Convict

Are they not just making a mobile app with a WebView pointing to the whatapp web url?

ronz91

Expert Member
Are they not just making a mobile app with a WebView pointing to the whatapp web url?
is this just what it seems like or have you looked into it?

I mean my idea is based on the premise that the current beta allows for whatsapp web to run even if your phone is off.

Hence an app that packages the website, scales the UI and has push notifications is a decent work-around as a start.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Which would be the sticking points for you?
Article mentions you need to logout. But does say it may be fully available in the future.

FFS Telegram have had this for ages. How hard could it be? Or is it a security issue?

WalkWithMe

Article mentions you need to logout. But does say it may be fully available in the future.

FFS Telegram have had this for ages. How hard could it be? Or is it a security issue?
Security issue. Messages sit on Telegram server where WhatsApp only has metadata and no data on the server. WhatsApp everything is end to end encrypted where only Telegram does secret chat as encrypted

ronz91

Expert Member

Telegram is fully cloud based I believe, whereas Whatsapp uses the phone as the storage device.

How difficult it would be for Whatsapp to convert over to fully cloud based, is probably alot of work but FB messenger works this way.

Also not sure about the same level of security if Whatsapp moved over to cloud based.

Convict

is this just what it seems like or have you looked into it?

I mean my idea is based on the premise that the current beta allows for whatsapp web to run even if your phone is off.

Hence an app that packages the website, scales the UI and has push notifications is a decent work-around as a start.
I was just talking about how you can have your 2 phones running it at the same time, one using the official app, and one using the browser based version of whatsapp. I have not tried it at all, just thinking of a way to have the browser version open at the same time as having your app version open on the other phone. If it will work I have no idea.

ronz91

Expert Member
I was just talking about how you can have your 2 phones running it at the same time, one using the official app, and one using the browser based version of whatsapp. I have not tried it at all, just thinking of a way to have the browser version open at the same time as having your app version open on the other phone. If it will work I have no idea.
yeah you can use whatsapp web on another phone, to access whatsapp. but the scaling of the site on a phone is terrible and there is no push notification to alert you of a new message