Where buy electrically-controlled outdoor tap?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Anyone know where in SA I can buy an electrically-controlled faucet / gate valve / tap for outdoor use?

I'd like to be able to top-up a swimming pool while away from the house. Plan is to vpn into my local network and then use a Sonoff wifi switch to open a garden tap. I have the wifi switch, just need something to open & close an outdoor tap. Getting 240VAC to/near the tap isn't a problem

Would very much appreciate any ideas.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Solenoid valve connected to any sort of timer will work. Needs 12v or 220v in and the timer just needs to switch the input on and off as reqiured.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Cool! Unfortunately ith a solenoid, there would be a bit of work involved setting it all up, but I'm sure someone retails a nice complete solution - try the hardware shops who sell sprinkler systems perhaps? If you use 220v in, make sure you insulate it all very nicely and earth any metal parts!

Arthur

Honorary Master
Cool! Unfortunately ith a solenoid, there would be a bit of work involved setting it all up, but I'm sure someone retails a nice complete solution - try the hardware shops who sell sprinkler systems perhaps? If you use 220v in, make sure you insulate it all very nicely and earth any metal parts!
Good idea. Thanks. Will see what's available next time I go to George.

You're right - it's a good idea to insulate it properly. We both know that water itself doesn't conduct electricity - it's the impurities and ions in ordinary tap water that do it. ;) Once saw a PC running underwater, bare motherboard. De-ionised distilled water.

Düber

Expert Member
What about going old school, and using a ball valve? you could make a portable one that fits on a garden hose perhaps. Just a thought.

spiff

Executive Member
Anyone know where in SA I can buy an electrically-controlled faucet / gate valve / tap for outdoor use?

I'd like to be able to top-up a swimming pool while away from the house. Plan is to vpn into my local network and then use a Sonoff wifi switch to open a garden tap. I have the wifi switch, just need something to open & close an outdoor tap. Getting 240VAC to/near the tap isn't a problem

I just bought a gardenia timer.

Runs off a 9v battery and connects directly to the tap.

No problem with it.

spiff

Executive Member

Took a quick pic before I lose the light.
b4ef37f0b1c68553b08fb414efe96b63.jpg

spiff

Executive Member
How quickly can water levels drop, making human intervention impractical?
I lecture at engineering colleges around SA. Next week I'm away for 8 weeks in Pretoria

So who going to check on my pool?

Also if you have solar water pool heating then the water level drops quite a lot.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Getting 2/3cm evaporation per day in JHB lately.
I lecture at engineering colleges around SA. Next week I'm away for 8 weeks in Pretoria

So who going to check on my pool?

Also if you have solar water pool heating then the water level drops quite a lot.

Why are you heating a pool you're not using?

Fill the pool to the brim before leaving.

And then the most important part: put a proper floating cover on it.

Zero evaporation.

spiff

Executive Member

Zero evaporation.
Cause I like warm water. Late evening swims are awesome.

Most pools have the following
Pool cover
Pool cleaner
Salt water chlorinator

so why not auto top up?

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Cause I like warm water. Late evening swims are awesome.

Most pools have the following
Pool cover
Pool cleaner
Salt water chlorinator

so why not auto top up?
You're not having late night swims when you're away for 8 weeks, now do you?

"Most pools" do have all that stuff, yes.

So why are you going for the gimmick instead of putting a floating cover on your pool?

You are also wasting water...of which there is little enough as it is on this country...

maumau

Honorary Master

Zero evaporation.

Might have to look at a cover. People who used bubble wrap say the plastic breaks down - don't want that.

Wonder how a few sheets of polystyrene would work.

spiff

Executive Member
You're not having late night swims when you're away for 8 weeks, now do you?

"Most pools" do have all that stuff, yes.

So why are you going for the gimmick instead of putting a floating cover on your pool?
My pool has all that.

But since you are bored and chose to miss the point - let dumb it down for you.

It's convenient.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Might have to look at a cover. People who used bubble wrap say the plastic breaks down - don't want that.

Wonder how a few sheets of polystyrene would work.
Those people bough the cheap stuff. The proper covers do not break down.

Polystyrene will rub against each other and your whole pool will be a mess as the sheets crumble and deteriorate.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
My pool has all that.

But since you are bored and chose to miss the point - let's dumb it down for you.

It's convenient.
An ironic FIFY...

You sound like an arrogant twat that likes to waste water, because it's "convenient".

If you really had a pool cover, it wouldn't be necessary to top up the pool while you're away "lecturing".