Where do you get melatonin?

johanhorak

I am using 2mg Melatonin with great results. But the pharmacy asks R400 for 30. Madness. But I'll pay if there is nothing else.

I can import from iHerb at R300 for 3 months worth including transport, tax etc. But customs may want a prescription from a doctor.

Where do you get yours from?

Nuke

Vitacost's prices are pretty good. Especially if you wait till they have a BOGO special. While getting a script may be handy, likely customs have no idea what Melatonin is....

Currently I just grab it from the pharmacy. I only use 500ug a day, that way it lasts me a long time. More than about 750ug makes me groggy in the morning anyway and may also down regulate endogenous Melatonin production.

panayi

I also use melatonin for when I travel. You used to need a prescription.... asked my pharmacist the other day and he said the requirement for a script has fallen away, but the suppliers still need one from the pharmacy.....guess the suppliers need to get up to date..

Can't recall cost...

johanhorak

Vitacost's prices are pretty good. Especially if you wait till they have a BOGO special. While getting a script may be handy, likely customs have no idea what Melatonin is....

Currently I just grab it from the pharmacy. I only use 500ug a day, that way it lasts me a long time. More than about 750ug makes me groggy in the morning anyway and may also down regulate endogenous Melatonin production.
Txs. I think I can go down to 1mg. Vitacost look great.

I'll have to order and see what they charge for shipping.

iHerb.com delivery is about 35%. And then you pay taxes plus R150 handling charges.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I also use melatonin for when I travel. You used to need a prescription.... asked my pharmacist the other day and he said the requirement for a script has fallen away, but the suppliers still need one from the pharmacy.....guess the suppliers need to get up to date..

Can't recall cost...
Read the thread I quoted above. You don't need a prescription for Travel purposes or Jet Lag.
But when using it as a sleeping pill you do need a prescription.
So when asking the pharmacist, just tell them you require it for Jet Lag.

johanhorak

Read the thread I quoted above. You don't need a prescription for Travel purposes or Jet Lag.
I see. Pretty interesting.

johanhorak

Link to the story?

johanhorak

Can't recall cost...
Pharmacist give me the same story. For jet lag, travelling you can get melatonin without a prescription. Txs.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Tried that with 2 pharmas. Neither bought it.

Eventually just got a GP to write me a half a year script.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Needing a script for Melatonin but not for codeine based pain killers like Adcodol or Syndol is a joke.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Needing a script for Melatonin but not for codeine based pain killers like Adcodol or Syndol is a joke.
Apparently it has to do with the neurological effects of the drug.
Something about it's effect on neurotransmitters or something like that.
Will have to google.
There was some discussion on it in the other threads on the drug.

Batista

Executive Member
Why not try to fix the cause instead of the symptoms? Why are doctors and their patients obsessed with fixing the symptoms temporarily?

Its a great business model for big pharma. :(

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Why not try to fix the cause instead of the symptoms? Why are doctors and their patients obsessed with fixing the symptoms temporarily?

Its a great business model for big pharma. :(
Sometimes there's no fix for the cause so symptomatic relief is about the best way to go. Until there's a fix, I'd rather that people sleep well using melatonin than prescription sleeping pills that can have long term side effects.

edit: Now tell me where to get Yelate and Tramahexal and we have a party.

Last edited:

rumix

Melatonin is wonderful. The only side effects are vivid dreams which is somewhat connected to sleep!

Last edited: