Which language do you want to learn next?

Solarion

Honorary Master
C++

I think they call it C++11 now.

I'm guessing I can use Visual Studio for compiling etc.

cguy

Expert Member
C++

I think they call it C++11 now.

I'm guessing I can use Visual Studio for compiling etc.
There’s also C++14 and C++17. Really, just minor language features - mostly backward compatible. It’s great - it means there are five different ways to do a bunch of things, and by the time enough people have hit the code, they’re all being used. :)

Solarion

Honorary Master
There’s also C++14 and C++17. Really, just minor language features - mostly backward compatible. It’s great - it means there are five different ways to do a bunch of things, and by the time enough people have hit the code, they’re all being used. :)
Interesting. I'm probably going to start with a Hello World this week and take it from there.

Thor

Honorary Master
Ideally Javascript, I fcking hate the language, but it seems the world is moving that direction.

NodeJS + VueJS has always appealed to me somehow, even though I have never used it.

Spacerat

Because of evolution. It's only natural to move on from WordPress to real development after a while.

Besides, Python is great :p
Just as a matter of interest, is Py suitable for production environments? I.e. how is its error/exception handling , robustness etc?

Thor

Honorary Master
That said, PHP 7 for web... it's very fast. It's not the PHP everyone remembers.

cguy

Expert Member
Just as a matter of interest, is Py suitable for production environments? I.e. how is its error/exception handling , robustness etc?
It’s reasonably good for that. We use it for most of our configuration, automation and other “glue” code. One issue is performance, although you can call a function in a compiled language if need be in many situations. There dynamic typing allows a unique set of bugs to manifest too.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
We wrote SARS in python (before Moyane's time)
Takealot uses Python extensively

So yes, it works in production. Our biggest issue was developers not setting their TAB to SPACE settings correctly. Merge conflicts for days. It also only manifested some bugs at runtime because when you look at the file the tabs vs spaces look correct. A linter will solve that issue though.

Performance - no, it is not the fastest language out there but you can use PyPy to compile it if you really need speed. That said, when is the last time anybody in the average world pushed a language to its limits.

Personally, I use Python as my "pocket knife". If I was starting a production project from scratch I'd look at Go, Node, C#/.NET Core before Python.

EDIT: but never would I look at php, no. :twisted:

Last edited:

Spacerat

We wrote SARS in python (before Moyane's time)
Takealot uses Python extensively

So yes, it works in production. Our biggest issue was developers not setting their TAB to SPACE settings correctly. Merge conflicts for days. It also only manifested some bugs at runtime because when you look at the file the tabs vs spaces look correct. A linter will solve that issue though.

Performance - no, it is not the fastest language out there but you can use PyPy to compile it if you really need speed. That said, when is the last time anybody in the average world pushed a language to its limits.

Personally, I use Python as my "pocket knife". If I was starting a production project from scratch I'd look at Go, Node, C#/.NET Core before Python.

EDIT: but never would I look at php, no. :twisted:
Is Py then sensitive to Tabs/Spaces (I am totally ignorant wrt Py) ?
As a rule I tend to stay FAR away from dynamic typing. Even in C#, it is an abomination that WILL catch you out at runtime. I prefer the compiler doing the work for me beforehand.

That was my impression that Py was/is used (mostly) for quick & dirty etc type integration & testing utils etc.