Which Laptop to buy?

Mercury12

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
626
I have been looking for a new laptop and the 2 best deals in my price range( 8000-9500) I could find were:

Price:R8999- Incredible Corruption
HP Pavilion dv6-3164si
AMD Phenom™ II Quad-Core Processor N950
2.1 GHz, Level 2 cache 2 MB
6 GB DDR3 (1 x 2048 MB + 1 x 4096 MB)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics (switchable), up to 3709 MB total graphics memory with 1 GB DDR3 dedicated
640 GB HD

Price: 9500-http://www.zones.co.za/
Lenovo Y560 Laptop
Intel Core i7-740QM Processor
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
500 GB HD
ATI Madison X2 1GB

Both are 15.6 inch monitors.
How much of a difference is there between the two? Anyone know of any other deals in the price range?
 
Just be very careful with buying from PC Zone! They have quite a bad reputation!

IMO the HP is the better buy here.
 
Lenovo is still a mid-tier laptop company where as HP is top tier, go for the HP. I have the exact same laptop as the HP except mine has i7 via intel.

The prices are crazy for both, might I suggest you look into buying a laptop from Amazon or just look a lil harder.
 
Yeah the prices are very steep for both but I looked around and all shops seemed to have similar prices. Amazon or any shop in the US have very good prices but how much do they charge for delivery and dont we get charged import duty? Do amazon ship laptops to SA?
 
Last edited:
Def. the HP.

In the USA you could get it for around $870 at Walmart.

That's abour R6000 or less. How much are they charging you here?
 
Yeah the prices are very steep for both but I looked around and all shops seemed to have similar prices. Amazon or any shop in the US have very good prices but how much do they charge for delivery and dont we get charged import duty? Do amazon ship laptops to SA?

Not sure what the shipping charges are... the import duties can be as much as R900.
 
Why are laptops so expensive in SA! Looked around and couldnt find a deal better than the hp and from what I read the phenom II N950 is better performance wise than the core i5 460m
 
Are u loooking at buying Brand new only?
 
I have the HP. Awesome laptop. Has all the bells an whistles.

Note* The HP screen is LED (Backlit?)
 
LED backlit, yes.

Note also that that is the Entertainment series HP, which have also not proven to be as good/reliable the HP's business series laptops.
 
Last edited:
Saw this Laptop on laptopdirect.co.za for R7300. How is the Core i5 480m compared to the Phenom II N950 of the HP?

Acer TravelMate TM5742G-5484G64MN Notebook (LX.TZB03.039), 5742G notebook series, Intel i5 series Dual Core i5-480M 2.66Ghz 3MB L2 Cache 1066Mhz FSB, 4096MB DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM Memory (1x4096), 640GB SATA 5400rpm Hard Drive, DVD SuperMulti writer optical drive, 15.6"
 
I'm always hearing about people's HP laptop issues. Like a friend upgraded his OS to win7, and it fried his GPU. (Apparently according to HP, the laptops, or drivers weren't ready for win7...) And then broken hinges, broken screens, always seems to be something :cry:
 
I'm always hearing about people's HP laptop issues. Like a friend upgraded his OS to win7, and it fried his GPU. (Apparently according to HP, the laptops, or drivers weren't ready for win7...) And then broken hinges, broken screens, always seems to be something :cry:

That is not just the case with HP... but with every type of laptop you know of. And it is more an issue of abuse, than shoddy workmanship. Acer and a few other brands are way more shoddily constructed. HP are better known for their solid construction.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X