Which VPN is the best?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
According to that is seems to be effective. I haven't had much cause to use it until now but since it also helps with rain's shaping, and it doesn't cost me any extra, I might as well keep using it.

powermzii

Expert Member
What VPN could be used on a USG router so that all devices connecting can use that VPN? Which of the paid options would be best?

Express
Nord
Wireguard
?

lkswan747

Expert Member
What VPN could be used on a USG router so that all devices connecting can use that VPN? Which of the paid options would be best?

Express
Nord
Wireguard
?
As far as I am aware, there is no VPN service that runs directly on the USG! Most VPN services support DD-WRT based routers.
I am also interested to know the answer as I am running a USG.
I have been looking at using ExpressVPN.

Krypt0n1te

I use Windscribe via Wireguard on my Router and then ProtonVPN with their Windows App simultaneously. Happy with both. Get 18mpbs down on a 20meg line.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Would it be possible to access US Netflix using a self hosted VPN on Oracle's free VPS?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Seems most people who want a VPN actually want to default their traffic via TOR so no-one can see what dodge **** they are up 2. VPNs do not do that. Any VPN provider will screw you over to the feds.
:ROFL:
But will they screw you over to the SA government, which is what everyone is actually worried about... doubtful.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
But will they screw you over to the SA government, which is what everyone is actually worried about... doubtful.
Yes, quid pro quo will kick in between the two. Highly likely!

Edit: People not worried about the feds but our own keystone cops????

cop.jpg

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
If the VPN provider isn’t using their own infrastructure, their logging policy doesn’t really matter.
If your VPN node isn’t in SA then you’re just ruining your internet experience.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If the VPN provider isn’t using their own infrastructure, their logging policy doesn’t really matter.
Having nodes in other countries is useful for bypassing geo blocking.

If your speed is high enough then your experience isn't really ruined, just the latency, which isn't that relevant to streaming/downloads...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Actually my downloading experience has improved tenfold since I started using one on Rain, even via the US or European nodes. I'm not interested in using it for anything else right now.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Actually my downloading experience has improved tenfold since I started using one on Rain, even via the US or European nodes. I'm not interested in using it for anything else right now.
Yeah in that aspect you’re making use of the routing aspect, which wouldn’t change if the node was in SA.
Unless you need an IP in another country as mentioned by @Mike Hoxbig

Having nodes in other countries is useful for bypassing geo blocking.

If your speed is high enough then your experience isn't really ruined, just the latency, which isn't that relevant to streaming/downloads...
Well the speed should be better through the SA node as the VPN provider handles the transit, compared to your ISP getting to the node in another country.

If you’re just streaming Netflix, then latency wouldn’t be an issue but if you were having a video call then latency and jitter is a factor.

As example, I use Cloudflare’s Warp VPN which is free for better routing, it doesn’t hide your IP to sites within their network but I benefit from the lower latency from sites within their network like this forum which loads like instantly.