Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

alternate

Expert Member
Guys, I know it's not whisky but I can't find a suitable thread to ask this on... I'm looking for The Kraken rum. A few years ago it was available around SA here and there for pretty good prices even (I bought two bottles at something silly like R99 each from Makro), and now it's gone. It's one of the most enjoyable rums I've had ever, and I am dying to get my hands on a bottle again. There are places that will import, but I'm not paying their premium prices... :(
Been searching for ages also. Can't find it anywhere unfortunately.
It was the best mixer.

Luben

Greetings fellow whiskey lovers!

I know I should post this in the classifieds section but I don's seem to have enough street cred.. So here goes.

I'm selling my much loved whiskey collection :( Some single malts, bourbons, and a really nice Ron Zappa rum!

Most are either half or more full and all bought less than 9 months ago. Full bottles retail at about R5000. Yours for R1750. PM me if interested.

View attachment 544587

View attachment 544591
Seeing as this is a Whisky thread and not a "For Sale" thread feel the need to comment on this post, mods are welcome to delete if they deem it necessary.

1. Whisky Value is more around the R3400 mark than R5000. The pricier bottles are not even half full.
HighPark 12, approx R600
Laphroig Quarter Cask, approx R700
Glendronach 12, approx R600
Jack Daniels, approx R300
Makers Mark, approx R300
Buffalo Trace, approx R400
W.L. Weller, approx approx R500

Also take note that open bottles are difficult to sell. The lack of "street cred" would also make you seem like a chancer. As previously advised, invites some friends over and have a lekker braai.

Luben

Guys, I know it's not whisky but I can't find a suitable thread to ask this on... I'm looking for The Kraken rum. A few years ago it was available around SA here and there for pretty good prices even (I bought two bottles at something silly like R99 each from Makro), and now it's gone. It's one of the most enjoyable rums I've had ever, and I am dying to get my hands on a bottle again. There are places that will import, but I'm not paying their premium prices... :(
I've got an unopened bottle at home. Free to you if you can fetch. PM me if you're interested.

wonduhboy

I'm sure I saw some at ORTIA duty free a few weeks back. I'll check again on Monday and report back if possible.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I'm sure I saw some at ORTIA duty free a few weeks back. I'll check again on Monday and report back if possible.
Please do! It's not on their site, perhaps it's in-shop only. If so, I'll ask my dad or someone who flies frequently to pick me up a bottle or two!

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Couple of good deals on at aficionados.

They are having some site issues so if you struggle to process check out drop them a mail.

schuits

Expert Member
I bought a bottle of Bowmore Islay single malt for R400 from Makro.
It's a really pleasant whiskey, I really recommend it.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Also did some impulse shopping on Saturday.

Bottle of Oogie as well as one of the last bottles of Oban, which will not be available in South Africa any more pretty soon.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Is this the Green Bowmore or the the Red one (colour of the box?) Love the green - havent had a red though
At that price point probably the green "small batch". Black is 12yo. Red is 15yo darkest.

Currently working my way through a 15yo. Interesting combo of salt and sherry. I quite like it. 12yo is also very good.