Who do you trust more? Android or iOS

macboer

Which operating system would be the first to get spyware/malware? Which one do you think will get more?

I want to go Android but they are getting quite popular and i don't know if Google have secutity priorities.

ssteynfaardt

myBB had an articulable earlier today about about android malware (else I read it in google reader)
there has been a lot of malware poping up for android the last couple of days.

I honestly believe it is a good OS, it's just some of the users I don't trust.
but that begin said, they only way you could install malware on you your phone is if you do a manual install on the phone.
Android also tells you all the services that the app will access.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you like.
Me, currently I'm still a bit more of an iOS fan

F

Fudzy

Does jailbreaking an Apple expose as much access as rooting an Android phone?

Maddmatt

Expert Member
Android would obviously be the first to get malware, because with Apple you can only install apps from their app store but with Android you can install them from where you like.
Unless you jailbreak your iPhone.

All it takes is common sense, don't install something you're not sure about especially when it doesn't come from a recognised source. Just like with a PC, you follow some strange link that asks for your details or asks you to install something, and you do it, then you're an idiot and you'll get screwed.

Edit: Reworded first sentence, didn't mean to say that I trusted Android more

Last edited:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
It's difficult to discuss these matters on this forum ... always the fanboys jumping out of their fortified sandboxes with "STFU" comments. I don't own a iPhone (I do own an iPod Touch but that hardly qualifies me for Apple fanboy registration). I don't own an Android device. I'm a BlackBerry user. I am looking at this iOS vs Android debate as a potential user of both. With that off my chest I would like to state the following ...

Compared to iOS and Apple's application distribution strategy/policy I believe Android to be too open to malware and bloatware abuse. The use of Android grows rapidly. This combined with its open uncontrolled application environment makes it Tango One, the priority target for criminals and those wanting to frustrate and cause damage. When one considers the future of cellphones as a primary banking/payment tool then this risk profile becomes even more important.

I can honestly see why Apple decided to control their ecosystem with an iron fist. Security/integrity on cellphones is going to become a major issue and Apple understands this. BlackBerry, I think, has always understood this (why they are getting in difficult sistuations with some governments). Android is spreading in all kinds of directions (incl. fragmentation), leaving it up to the owner/user to protect him/herself. Then there's the bloatware forced down the throats of Android users in the States. In time we in SA will also get this treatment from those kindly subsidising the cost of the phone. See http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/12/entelligence-will-carriers-destroy-the-android-vision/ .

As I see things panning out I definitely trust iOS more. I prefer a well controlled ecosystem that ensures I get what I pay/paid for and I can trust what I get. I know many will see this differently; for many the open less restricted Android ecosystem is the way to go. But when the question is about trust I believe iOS to be the more trustworthy of the two.

macboer

i'm in the sam boat as you BeVonk! . I love google in theory but i don't know if i can trust them...

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I trust Android more. Its Google and they have generally proven themselves to be trustworthy and reliable. I dont trust iOS, Steve Jobs has proven to me to be untrustworthy and unreliable.

I choose the platform I want and the platform will be android for my next phone. I also choose the apps on it and I know my skills, so I dont need a mobile OS with training wheels. Im smart enough to secure it myself. Malware is not an issue for me. I know how propriety codes and patches and and have seen Apple take months to sometimes fix exploit issues

Last edited:

Acydebyte

I think the answer you are looking for stems from what type of users you are...

If you are a super user and enjoy using different patches, updates, coding solutions etc to protect and secure your phone then Droid is the way to go, if you are like me and dont want to spend hours protecting your phone from all kinds of attacks then the iOS is the trusted one...

Also a note, its not that i dont trust Droid, its the fact that i dont trust the developers of the open source apps that are not controlled or regualted by anyone and are looking to infect my phone.

DuckieZA

It's difficult to discuss these matters on this forum ... always the fanboys jumping out of their fortified sandboxes with "STFU" comments. I don't own a iPhone (I do own an iPod Touch but that hardly qualifies me for Apple fanboy registration). I don't own an Android device. I'm a BlackBerry user. I am looking at this iOS vs Android debate as a potential user of both. With that off my chest I would like to state the following ...

... snip ...

As I see things panning out I definitely trust iOS more. I prefer a well controlled ecosystem that ensures I get what I pay/paid for and I can trust what I get. I know many will see this differently; for many the open less restricted Android ecosystem is the way to go. But when the question is about trust I believe iOS to be the more trustworthy of the two.
+1

The carriers (Vodacom, MTN, Cell C et al) are gonna load up their crap on those Android handsets, and guess what? Because it's "open" .. they can!