• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Who will fight for me

beesboertjie

Hi Jonathan56. Thanks a million for the link to the website “Increase Broadband Speed”. Be sure that I will study it in detail ... later. For now I wish to alter my guess above. I guess Defib is 3,3 km from the exchange and his attenuation is 46 dB. Hehe. This is how I deduced it …

View attachment 457062

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hi Jonathan56. Thanks a million for the link to the website “Increase Broadband Speed”. Be sure that I will study it in detail ... later. For now I wish to alter my guess above. I guess Defib is 3,3 km from the exchange and his attenuation is 46 dB. Hehe. This is how I deduced it …

View attachment 457062
That's not how it works. The max achievable would be if your SNR is 6dB. (for this table, though in reality, you can still sync stably at ~4dB (at least my line did before ASSIA, which enforces a minimum 6dB SNR sync))
So assume if e.g. 46dB Attenuation (Line Loss), Line Length of 3.33km, Sync of 5.6Mbps (capital, not lower case) then the line would have 6dB of SNR.

If you are syncing at a lower value, e.g. 2Mbps, your SNR would be higher as there is more frequency available, probably around the 8-9dB SNR mark.

beesboertjie

Thank you Johnatan56. Yes I see, the prefix for mega is M, the prefix for milli is m. I got confused, because in kWh the W is a capital letter because it’s somebody’s name (James Watt). It stays kWh in Afrikaans as well, it does not change to kWu, the h stands for the Latin word hora, meaning hour.

And as far as I know B means byte and b means bit.

Unlike Alessandro Volta and André-Marie Ampère, James Watt had little to do with electricity, he built a steam engine. Thomas Edison used the Watt engine for his electrical generator in the late 1800’s.

I bow to your superior knowledge. But I’d still like to see Defib’s router stats before I throw in the towel. Hehe. I stick to my guns, I still think Defib is more than 3 km from the exchange.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thank you Johnatan56. Yes I see, the prefix for mega is M, the prefix for milli is m. I got confused, because in kWh the W is a capital letter because it’s somebody’s name (James Watt). It stays kWh in Afrikaans as well, it does not change to kWu, the h stands for the Latin word hora, meaning hour.

And as far as I know B means byte and b means bit.

Unlike Alessandro Volta and André-Marie Ampère, James Watt had little to do with electricity, he built a steam engine. Thomas Edison used the Watt engine for his electrical generator in the late 1800’s.

I bow to your superior knowledge. But I’d still like to see Defib’s router stats before I throw in the towel. Hehe. I stick to my guns, I still think Defib is more than 3 km from the exchange.
Yep, the question is more along the lines of whether he is past the 4km mark.
Bandwidth is measured in bps, just the industry norm And yes to your B vs b.