Why are VDSL lines cheaper than ADSL

Firstly a link: https://www.voxtelecom.co.za/adsl-lines

I guess I'm asking this question for interest's sake.
So here it's listed that VSDL 20meg line is noticeably (R100) cheaper than ADSL 10meg line.
And the 40meg line seems to be the same price as the 10meg line.

I guess my question is then where is the hidden cost?
Is it because using these lines you're likely to eat way more data and therefore require more capped data per month or to sign up for a expensive uncapped solution?

jackshiels

Expert Member
It's Vox attempting to get high end users on their Fatpipe solution. Those are pretty much cost price rates - they are undercutting everyone else by a significant margin to gain marketshare.

Why they don't do this for ADSL I do not know. Perhaps too much of their revenue comes from ADSL and VDSL is underselling. It could be a unique marketing plan for VDSL.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Well there are much more ADSL clients than VDSL clients due to physical limitations, therefore they milk the majority.

PsyCLown

Expert Member
Does it matter? Probably just a marketing thing to try and draw in more customers.

IMO their VDSL line prices make it worth the jump from Telkom, quite a significant saving per month.

Assuming one can actually get VDSL in my area :/. I mean I'm right under UCT you'd think Telkom would have me covered :p.

Jola

Honorary Master
Hmm, almost R100pm cheaper for 20mbps VDSL than Afrihost !

Or I can take 40mpbs VDSL for the same price as 20mbps VDSL with Afrihost.

Tempting ...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Though doesn't that require some extra charges? Like a fancy router and whatnot?
No, it's still ADSL2+, I haven't changed to VDSL. Just ask to be set on ADSL2+ instead of VDSL, only difference is upload where VDSL will give you an extra 1mbps or so. (ADSL2+ max is 24/1.4 at most, but will vary while VDSL is max 55/3 since Telkom decided to go with the old VDSL instead of the newer standard).

VDSL = need router with VDSL support, should be backwards compatible to ADSL2+
ADSL2+ = won't support VDSL, you would have to get a new router for VDSL.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah exactly what I'm doing with the free router I got from Telkom with the Telkom Simple plus deal.

Why pay more for 10Mbps when I can pay less for 13Mbps.....

Telkom does not have the stabilization profiles between 10Mbps and 20Mbps so Telkom has set it to maximum stable or +- 1.5Mbps less than what the very limit is for your line. It ensures that the line does not drop and works very well actually. This is why when I restart my router I might get 300k more download or even less download speed depending how the line stats change.

boerinbeton

VDSL provides a more stable connection at higher rates and with better error correction.

My guess is switching customers over to VDSL has a direct cost saving in terms of calls logged and technician visits.