Why Capitec won’t get Smart ID services in its branches

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Capitec can’t accommodate Home Affairs service desks for Smart ID and passports in its branches, a spokesperson for the bank has told MyBroadband.

“Capitec strives to give our customers the most affordable banking solution – that means smaller optimised branches allow us to keep fees as low as possible,” the bank stated.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Capitec can’t accommodate Home Affairs service desks for Smart ID and passports in its branches, a spokesperson for the bank has told MyBroadband.

“Capitec strives to give our customers the most affordable banking solution – that means smaller optimised branches allow us to keep fees as low as possible,” the bank stated.
Just means people must use other banks, thus exposing themselves to those other banks, I had to open a FNB Easy account to do my smart ID at the bank, now I use that more often because I saw the card has Tap&Go, which Capitec doesn't.

dj2381

Expert Member
Only Standard Bank in Cape Town? Pretty disappointing, I would dread having to go to any home affairs to get a new ID or passport.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Only Standard Bank in Cape Town? Pretty disappointing, I would dread having to go to any home affairs to get a new ID or passport.
Don't dread it. It took a week each for my new ID and passport at PE and Cape Town branches respectively.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not like most banks offer it in any case.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Meh it's only in a few branches anyway and they haven't expanded it in 2 odd years. I just used the local HOA. Tap & go doesn't really help saving you only a few seconds at most. Masterpass is much more useful.

Corelli

Expert Member
I never liked Capitec. After reading all the complaints on hellopeter about people at shoprite or checkers emptying other's capitec bank accounts, and capitec showing them the cold shoulder, it put me off.

Then ever try to make change in capitec? sorry we don't deal with actual money only virtual money.

Most of Japan still uses cash 80%. And Asia is mostly gold mini bars, and cash. Yip if you ever wondered where the worlds gold bars disappeared to its in people's safe's in Asia. In South Africa it all turned virtual, and if anyone actually took notice of VBS. The money you put into the bank, is actually considered a loan to the bank and you are a creditor. If the bank fails, they don't have to pay all their creditors, as you can lodge a claim, but if a bankrupt business cant pay bills, well the creditors looses out. So if Capitec folds, then no one will have money. But if you have some gold bars in the safe, no problem. And if war does occur, they really wont assist you with a cashpoint machine but either USD notes or gold and jewels.

So it quirked me that Capitec doesn't actually like physical cash.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I never liked Capitec. After reading all the complaints on hellopeter about people at shoprite or checkers emptying other's capitec bank accounts, and capitec showing them the cold shoulder, it put me off.

Then ever try to make change in capitec? sorry we don't deal with actual money only virtual money.

Most of Japan still uses cash 80%. And Asia is mostly gold mini bars, and cash. Yip if you ever wondered where the worlds gold bars disappeared to its in people's safe's in Asia. In South Africa it all turned virtual, and if anyone actually took notice of VBS. The money you put into the bank, is actually considered a loan to the bank and you are a creditor. If the bank fails, they don't have to pay all their creditors, as you can lodge a claim, but if a bankrupt business cant pay bills, well the creditors looses out. So if Capitec folds, then no one will have money. But if you have some gold bars in the safe, no problem. And if war does occur, they really wont assist you with a cashpoint machine but either USD notes or gold and jewels.

It's because handling cash is expensive in SA. Owning it, handling it, securing it and insuring it all has fees attached and part of the reason Capitec has the most clients (apart from just having one account and not a zillion like other banks) is that they're so cheap. I haven't used cash in yonks and hate it when I get some because they break my card optimised tiny wallet. Also that hellopeter complaints sounds dodgy as hell. I wouldn't base my feelings on them.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Must happen with the other banks too (this Checkers Shoprite emptying thing) and the other banks have other issues too.

Last edited:

TimTDP

Expert Member
Why use a bank?
Overseas everything is done electronically via the Internet