Why Discovery is so expensive

Necropolis

Executive Member
I've read some **** in my time but this takes the cake.

"Overuse our services"

:wtf:

noxibox

Honorary Master
It's expensive, so people expect them to pay for medical treatment. It's expensive, so people delay joining.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Broomberg said healthcare inflation was not to blame for high medical aid fees, but rather members who overused the services.
So because of knobs like these, my premium is through the roof, despite me claiming maybe once a year (if that). :mad:

Necropolis

Executive Member
So because of knobs like these, my premium is through the roof, despite me claiming maybe once a year (if that). :mad:
No, your premiums are through the roof because Discovery loves money - the more they can get out of you and the less they have to pay the better.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
What a crock of shyte. Most young folks I know do not use their medical aid heavily. What is used is the MSA where available and that is fully part of you premuims so I don't see how it can count.

Would someone care to explain what avg young family uses a hospital benefit for besides emergencies and childbirth?

RoosTa

Expert Member
Private hospitals also over charge ridiculous amounts of moneys.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Christ, the amount of crock of shyte this arsehole spews is mind boggling. It is not as if Discovery is "struggling" financially now, is it. Their stock is a investor favourite for a reason.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
No, your premiums are through the roof because Discovery loves money - the more they can get out of you and the less they have to pay the better.
There were reports of one family spending 250k on physio treatment in a year.
That's overspending..

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Reports were no.
500 hours of physio. That's 10 hours a week for a year...
Then the medical aid is responsible to police it as well as take action against the practice. Who approved it? Only they could have.

Segg

Expert Member
Well I know someone who is going for treatment on his nervous system due to an injury, and that person got a phone call saying by the way, you've already spent 1 day in hospital, you've got 6 more this year....

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Then the medical aid is responsible to police it as well as take action against the practice. Who approved it? Only they could have.
They changed the limits after this became apparent. Just pointing out that overuse is a thing.

Draganchor

Surfers ear op, I had to pay for re attachment of my ear, as it was deemed plastic surgery. Wtf. Took 2 months of battling to get paid out. Thievery on the highest level imo.

Need another one now on other ear, don't want to even contemplate what excuses I will get this time.

Oh surfing is supposedly healthy, but not accordingly discovery...

Jakes147

Expert Member
Bonitas is much better than discovery. With discovery you have co payments for almost everything. And why the hell do they have like 50 different options.

Discovery is a for profit medical insurance company and not a true medical aid company. They wil always try to pay as little as possible.

genetic

Honorary Master
They wil always try to pay as little as possible.
They payed R1.1Million for my dads stay in hospital, heart attack, surgery and ICU. Didn't save his life though, but saved my mom exorbitant hospital bills. They basically payed for everything.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
"inexperienced hospital staff and people overspending is what drives up the cost of medical aid... also my salary of 48 kajillion rand contributes to the higher premiums".