Why does my computer think I'm in Romania?

ros_b

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2010
Messages
801
Reaction score
147
Location
Johannesburg
I opened Facebook on my laptop and I'm usually already logged in. But I was logged out and had to log back in. Facebook told me that I was logging in from Romania. Google is returning shopping results from Romanian stores in Romanian currency. So is Bing. This happened to me last week as well... I fiddled with a few things and it got sorted out, though I now doubt it was any of my fiddling that solved it because today, the problem has returned. So I went to iplocation.net, and there it is: my IP address says that I'm in Romania! And before you ask, no, of course I'm not running a VPN that's setting my location to Romania!

I'm connecting to the Internet via Vodacom 5G (actually, Vodacom Business). Why the hell are they routing me through Romania and how can I fix it?
 
do a traceroute to an ip like 41.23.234.129 (ISP dns server) and send the results.
Tracing route to vc-41-23-234-12.umts.vodacom.co.za [41.23.234.12]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 2 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.254
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 12 ms 26 ms 12 ms 10.221.99.1
4 11 ms 13 ms 13 ms 10.118.75.213
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.


Lines 8 to 30 were all "Request timed out."
 
Tracing route to vc-41-23-234-12.umts.vodacom.co.za [41.23.234.12]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 2 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.254
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 12 ms 26 ms 12 ms 10.221.99.1
4 11 ms 13 ms 13 ms 10.118.75.213
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.


Lines 8 to 30 were all "Request timed out."

I don't know the answer, but that tracert is surprisingly unhelpful. Google says:
Because it falls within the 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 range (defined by RFC 1918), it is reserved exclusively for internal use within private networks (like a home, corporate, or school local network).
 
Run an extended test from here
Then check your IP reported, as well as DNS here:
Censor your IP dont post the whole thing here

**edit** What browser you using ?
 
Run an extended test from here
Then check your IP reported, as well as DNS here:
Censor your IP dont post the whole thing here

**edit** What browser you using ?
1791227263275.png

1791227271570.png

I'm using Firefox for Windows.
 
You are using WindScribe VPN .. or a DNS server for Geoblocking / Bypass ...somewhere

;-)
Right, so I noticed the DNS Leak report showed Windscribe, and I do use Windscribe occasionally, but it was showing "disconnected" within Firefox and I'm not running the program outside of Firefox.

When I read your post, I clicked on the little Windscribe icon within Firefox and it showed "Autopilot", so I think you're right - somehow it was active (even though it showed that I was disconnected form Windscribe) and routing me through Romaina, even though I hadnt consciously turned it on. I've manually turned it off now (I think, I hope!) and - hooray - I'm back in South Africa!
 
Right, so I noticed the DNS Leak report showed Windscribe, and I do use Windscribe occasionally, but it was showing "disconnected" within Firefox and I'm not running the program outside of Firefox.

When I read your post, I clicked on the little Windscribe icon within Firefox and it showed "Autopilot", so I think you're right - somehow it was active (even though it showed that I was disconnected form Windscribe) and routing me through Romaina, even though I hadnt consciously turned it on. I've manually turned it off now (I think, I hope!) and - hooray - I'm back in South Africa!
I disabled Windscribe on my Firefox over the weekend as it randomly turns on the vpn even when it is turned off. Was irritating the fck out of me when I get an access denied or cloudflare verification screen when I try to access a site.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X