Why is Rain so slow......

Karu

I have been experiencing slow internet speeds for a while but now it is took slow ? Why is Rain so slow.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Thank you.

I have sent you a PM. Please do not post your email on a public thread.

jbroo

I'm on the unlimited 4G and I'm in Phoenix durban
It's just how it is. Only fast in the dead hours of night when there are very few users. When everyone goes online in the morning it gets kak and stays that way all day.

@rain_mobile I get 1-2 mbps in the daytime.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
It's just how it is. Only fast in the dead hours of night when there are very few users. When everyone goes online in the morning it gets kak and stays that way all day.

@rain_mobile I get 1-2 mbps in the daytime.
Hi @jbroo

I will check what might be the issue and contact you.

jbroo

Yes. It used to be decent but has gotten progressively worse. See the night time speed tests. Hopefully we can stop discussing signal now and focus on the real issue.

@rain_mobile, EARFCN 37900, TDD, PCI 446. Screenshot_20210706-084815.jpg

jbroo

Thanks @rain_mobile, your rep called me and immediately started with the "but the tower is far, etc". Signal is not the issue. He confirmed there is nothing else in my area except the KZN University tower, which I used to use but it is so congested it is unusable. PCI 369 on that tower is rammed, and PCI 370 is better but it faces away from me so my signal is bad (think SINR -10 to -20). This is why I connect to a tower that is so far from me, but this tower is now saturated too.

This just confirms Rain's age old problem - oversubscription with a degradation in the service to all users. Rain does not control who connects to what tower, nor limit the subscribers in an area - the result, predictably, is kak service. The rep essentially told me there is nothing that can be done (not surprised). I'll keep limping along until the fibre here is live, but for everyone else using Rain, don't expect miracles - the business model sucks.

StephOsK

Hi @rain_mobile , I do have the same issues, my speeds have drastically decreased as well as the fact that I just cannot connect to towers closer to me despite the fact that there are plenty of them, Rain keeps connecting me to a Tower which is 4.18 km away from me.
I am using the standard package and my Download speed now does not even reach the 30mbps and the upload speed is just a disaster as I cannot even reach 1mbps and on top of it, since I use my internet on latency based tasks as well, my ping just rarely reaches under 40ms anymore and it is all just random.
My signal stats are correct despite the Tower selection which is awful.
Please, I really need assistance.

Attachments

• Rain Signal Stats.png
    Rain Signal Stats.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Rain speedtest 6-7-2021.png
    Rain speedtest 6-7-2021.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Rain Tower Stats.png
    Rain Tower Stats.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 36

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi @rain_mobile , I do have the same issues, my speeds have drastically decreased as well as the fact that I just cannot connect to towers closer to me despite the fact that there are plenty of them, Rain keeps connecting me to a Tower which is 4.18 km away from me.
I am using the standard package and my Download speed now does not even reach the 30mbps and the upload speed is just a disaster as I cannot even reach 1mbps and on top of it, since I use my internet on latency based tasks as well, my ping just rarely reaches under 40ms anymore and it is all just random.
My signal stats are correct despite the Tower selection which is awful.
Please, I really need assistance.
Hi @StephOsK

Please provide me with your email via PM

ScrooV

Have same issues.

rain 4G unlimited had been ok for us last few months: Daytime 2-4Mbps (Can live with that), evening a bit better, and after hours 10/10mbps. Strong signal.

But since the weekend have been seeing longer and longer periods where it looks like this:
HkzGrcL.jpg

I'm convinced it's rain's video shaping that doesn't disengage properly after a few mins of YT..

eg2505

Honorary Master
rain simply gave up with me, and I gave up with them, even though I NEED internet,
tower apparently vandalized, so signal im getting is about 4-5KM away in JHB,

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Have same issues.

rain 4G unlimited had been ok for us last few months: Daytime 2-4Mbps (Can live with that), evening a bit better, and after hours 10/10mbps. Strong signal.

But since the weekend have been seeing longer and longer periods where it looks like this:
HkzGrcL.jpg

I'm convinced it's rain's video shaping that doesn't disengage properly after a few mins of YT..
Hi @ScrooV

Please PM me your email address let me have a look and see how i may assist you further.

ScrooV

Hi @ScrooV

Please PM me your email address let me have a look and see how i may assist you further.
Details of issue sent rain_mobile. Thanks.

Was ok since I made my initial post, but the shaping has kicked in again from this morning and am seeing no faster than 0.4mbps since 6am despite strong signal.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Details of issue sent rain_mobile. Thanks.

Was ok since I made my initial post, but the shaping has kicked in again from this morning and am seeing no faster than 0.4mbps since 6am despite strong signal.
Thank you.

I have received it.

Kiemo

Expert Member
@rain_mobile that tower

cant send a PM with pictures attached

the 1.55 tower Kilimanjaro

Attachments

• A0524A2C-F0E4-4B13-B146-3FE5CD93C6F3.png
    A0524A2C-F0E4-4B13-B146-3FE5CD93C6F3.png
    2 MB · Views: 30