Why is Rain so slow......

Aziphale

Are VPN's now been throttled on the 5g Premium package?
When the VPN is on I can't even open the MBB speed test page, and as soon as I turn it off it's back the the 86Mbps.
When I use the VPN on my MTN connection, I have no problems.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
When the VPN is on I can't even open the MBB speed test page, and as soon as I turn it off it's back the the 86Mbps.
HI @Aziphale

Please provide me with your email via PM.

SuperMario

Just tested on my side, getting decent speed with VPN.

Aziphale

Yeah, Sorry Rain.
It seems that it is my VPN that is the problem. I am with Surf Shark, and as of this morning the South African server is no longer available. I am been routed via Nigeria as the best connection. Same issue on my MTN connection now.

Ping
273ms
Download
0.13Mbps
Upload
0.02Mbps

7:30 am

Kiemo

Expert Member
@rain_mobile

that’s the coverage just makes it or am I wrong

Attachments

• 05A1DBDA-B071-4202-9013-3E417757B27D.jpeg
    05A1DBDA-B071-4202-9013-3E417757B27D.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 21

Kiemo

Expert Member
Hi @Kiemo
I would not say just makes it, it could be that at that border is where the limit of the connectivity is stretched, so anything beyond there might not connect at all.
I see …

so the tower that’s 10 steps away from us isn’t a 5g tower ?

MrJacques

Getting pretty frustrated here. It's been super slow the last two days. Rain_Mobile tried to help (and I appreciate it), but it seems like there are other underlying issues at Rain affecting a lot of users. :(

It was fine a few days ago, so I suspect they are throttling us. If we are being throttled in some way at least tell us that we know what the actual reason is (not some mysterious network issue or being too far from a tower) and and what the rules are so that we can maybe adjust our usage so we don't get throttled.

Also, it's really difficult to see how much data you've actually used using the rain site.

Last edited:

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Getting pretty frustrated here. It's been super slow the last two days. Rain_Mobile tried to help (and I appreciate it), but it seems like there are other underlying issues at Rain affecting a lot of users. :(

It was fine a few days ago, so I suspect they are throttling us. If we are being throttled in some way at least tell us that we know what the actual reason is (not some mysterious network issue or being too far from a tower) and and what the rules are so that we can maybe adjust our usage so we don't get throttled.

Also, it's really difficult to see how much data you've actually used using the rain site.

HI @MrJacques

You will receive a call shortly

MrJacques

HI @MrJacques You will receive a call shortly

Thanks. I got a call and the guy says the tower I'm connected to is very busy. So the short version is that Rain doesn't have enough bandwidth / infrastructure available. I hopped on my bicycle and went to the second closest tower to connect to it. It's still really slow. It's puzzling that it was better earlier in the week and previous weekends. Surely there aren't that many extra people connecting suddenly to this tower. Looks like I'll have to get fiber to have decent internet speeds.