Why is there no Wii thread? No fans here?

jamezjunk

Sure, I know most people bash it, but it is a great family system and the only one I could ever get my wife to agree to play. Especially once you hack it and can play backups, etc. It is a pretty sweet system.

Last edited:

razer1980

I was wondering the same thing! I'm getting mine the end of the month when my mom brings it back with her from Perth. I got it for R2100 from JBHifi. Much cheaper there than here in S-Africa.

Mars

Honorary Master
Anyone installed homebrew on their Wii? I kinda like the idea. Where do I start?

jamezjunk

Anyone installed homebrew on their Wii? I kinda like the idea. Where do I start?

This site http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922 has the best explanation of everything. Register with their forums and ask any questions you have there. Just follow everything carefully. They give it step by step. I've used it to install homebrew and a number of other hacks that allow my wii to play any backup from any region including wii games downloaded from the internet as well as any wiiware or vc title from anywhere in the world. The coolest feature is that I have loaded all my games on a usb portable hard drive and no longer need discs but play everything directly from the wii using the hard drive. I have individual channels for each of my favorite games that load directly from the hard drive as well. It also allows you to watch DVD's directly from the wii. Highly recommend it. After installing the 4.0 menu, you should also install this USB loader http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922

it is also fun to load all the old Nintendo, super nintendo, & gameboy roms. My wife played super mario bros the other day for about 6 hours straight!

razer1980

Finishing up Splinter Cell Double Agent at the moment and just got Conduit, so starting to mess with that one. You?

Well, I'm still waiting for my Wii to get here from Oz, but I bought LEGEND OF ZELDA and DE BLOB already. Tried it out on my mate's wii: both cool games!

I'm also planning to installing the homebrew stuff. I like the fact that you can backup your games directly from the wii to the usb drive. Helps reduce wear on the wii's drive as well as the games' discs.

jamezjunk

Oh Madman88, just make sure you install bootmii in the process and then use it to back everything up to an sd card. That way if you ever brick your machine you can easily restore it.

Mars

Honorary Master
Oh Madman88, just make sure you install bootmii in the process and then use it to back everything up to an sd card. That way if you ever brick your machine you can easily restore it.

Bootmii it is.. Got the software, got the zelda, gonna do it tonight!

jamezjunk

Bootmii it is.. Got the software, got the zelda, gonna do it tonight!

Don't need zelda anymore. can just upgrade to 4.0 and do it without zelda. I didn't have it when I did mine. Actually easier without it. Now I have it, but it is a downloaded version.

encrypted

I done mine this weekend, banner bomb, system menu 3.3e, no zelda needed. one thing that cost me an hour of my life tho, when you copy the files to the SD card, right click and make them archivable. Last night I was playing quake and divx off my usb drive.

Mars

Honorary Master
That's the first time Ive heard of a new version actually making it easier to break :)

jamezjunk

That's the first time Ive heard of a new version actually making it easier to break :)

yeah, with the new menu version the added a SD card feature without realizing that by doing so, they allowed homebrew to be loaded from the sd card as well. Now it is easier than ever before.

Retro

I done mine this weekend, banner bomb, system menu 3.3e, no zelda needed. one thing that cost me an hour of my life tho, when you copy the files to the SD card, right click and make them archivable. Last night I was playing quake and divx off my usb drive.

What harddrive are you using? Apparently only certain makes and models work? I have to go buy one, but afraid I'll buy the wrong drive.

jamezjunk

What harddrive are you using? Apparently only certain makes and models work? I have to go buy one, but afraid I'll buy the wrong drive.

Actually most work just fine, if it doesn't work, there are hacks you can use to make most of them work. Go to Gbatemp and they have a few forums posts devoted to choosing a hard drive. I'm not trying to drive traffic there, but it is just very well detailed for this issue over there. I know all the western digital passports work just fine. I am using an old 60gb simpletech drive.

Retro

Actually most work just fine, if it doesn't work, there are hacks you can use to make most of them work. Go to Gbatemp and they have a few forums posts devoted to choosing a hard drive. I'm not trying to drive traffic there, but it is just very well detailed for this issue over there. I know all the western digital passports work just fine. I am using an old 60gb simpletech drive.

Just finished with the softmod and everything is still working. :)

Ok, so basically if I buy a WD Passport drive, it will work? I just don't want to spend a couple of hundred rand and then finding out it doesn't work.